fish dying, white skin peeling off, please help!

Pbass265

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2012
cincinnati
Last night 2 of my 5 in kelberi pbass died. The other 2 have white fluff that seems to be hanging on them with fins down to the rays on their sides as well as my aeros tail. This happened fast over the last couple days and I did not really notice it. The Aero used to eat hikiri cichlid staple like a champ as well as tilapia out of my hands. Now he won’t eat at all.
265 gallons 7*2*2.5 ft
Inhabitants 2 was 4 5 in pbass, 1 5 in granulated cat, 1 7 in silver aero
Temp 80 deg w 3 300 watt heaters
Ammonia and nitrite 0
Nitrate <40
Weekly water changes of 50% with prime
Tank has been set up over 3 months
1 fx5 filter with about 10 pothos vines.
There is natural light coming in from a window

What can I do to make this better, I bought melafix and pimafix, which would I need and how much to put with the cat in there. I want to make sure he is ok since he is the only one who doesn’t seem affected. Is there anything else I can do, any help wis greatly appreciated. I only have a couple hrs to get this fixed before I have to go to work until 1am.

Thanks.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
A photo, possible?

PufferXtreme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
UK
I'd say some sort of filter crash but the parameters seem fine (make sure your test kits are in date etc.) Also take a look at your pH too, make sure it hasn't crashed and burned the fish.

Other than that lots of small water changes, don't feed for a few days and see how it goes.

A picture would definitely be handy too!

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Could be columnaris since this is one of the ways it shows itself. When you say "white skin", are you referring to the slime coat, or the actual skin? Check this link. It has some very good info.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/columnaris_disease.php

For what I suspected as columnaris, I've used kanamycin in combination with Furan-2, and lowered the temperature to the mid-70s (slows the progression). Also, a aquarist friend of mine has used acriflavine and salt with some success.

Pbass265

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2012
cincinnati
PH was good as well. I had it all checked at petsmart with the strips and bought an api test kit but forgot to take some water out before I added prime. To make matters worse I was not paying attention while doing a water change and sent them all into shock. I had too much cold water come in and probably killed the other 2 bass. I usually have water from the hose and buckets of hot water which I failed to realize wasn&#8217;t hot. This has not been a good day of fishkeeping. I had to put the ones in shock in another established tank to get them back up and going so I have diseased that tank as well. Luckily it is my small breeding tank of mollies and only a delhezi. Ill get pics in a bit.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I would say a lot of salt.....

Pbass265

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2012
cincinnati
It looks like it isn&#8217;t going to make a difference anyway. In my hurry to do a waterchange I neglected to even look at the fish to notice the water was too cold. The 2 bass are at the bottom of another warm tank on their backs gasping for air so they will probably die. The aero is a mix of on his side and swimming so he is probably a gonner as well. The cat is the only one that looks like he will make it in another tank I have probably brought whatever this fungus/ parasite is into it. Does anyone have any tips to help a fish get out of shock. It seemed like the bass were going to make it since they went from lifeless to breathing in my hands to swimming to on their backs? Thanks to all those who helped.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Take the cat out before adding salt, in any case.

Aerate the tank to the maximum, lots of flow and bubbles....

If you have a powerhead grab the fihs and hold them with the head pointed to the powerhead.

Make water flow through their gills and system.

I once spent a night doing this with an aro and it worked.

Do not, however, have high hopes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store