Fish from walmart question

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Pure albino's lack pigment, and have pink eyes.

Nice looking little OB, but I'm assuming that it's not the fish that the OP was originally enquiring about.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Too much typing involved, so I cut & paste this from an oscar forum. The same applies to all fish, including African cichlids.

Albinism is the result of a genetic dysfunction/mutation that prevents the production of melanin pigment. Melanin is responsible for all dark coloration. In a human, freckles are an example of concentrated melanin pigmentation. The darker a humans skin, the more melanin pigment it contains. The same is true for fish. A good example of a fish, which has been selectively breed for enhanced melanin pigmentation, would be Black Lace Angelfish. An absence of melanin means that the affected animal (in our case, fish) will have no black, brown, grey, or green coloration. However, other types of pigment cells, such as carotenoids (reds, oranges) and xanthophores (yellow), are unaffected. This means that an Albino Oscar can retain its natural orange and red coloration, loosing only the darker colors.

This might also help.......

Fish Coloration Terms & Definitions

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?38534-Fish-Coloration-Terms-amp-Definitions

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Better luck with the next one .....

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
My local Walmart's wholesaler is located in the state. They are a hormone free facility. I wouldn't call hormonal manipulation common practice, growth or reproductive; it does happen more commonly with some higher end lines. Antibiotics and hybrid crosses would be more common practice within this genus. IMO

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It is indeed common practice, and has been for many years.

FYI - many of the wholesalers based in the US, including some of the largest wholesalers, such as Segrest farms, import millions of fish each year from Asia. I have spoken to a number of these importers/distributors over the years as I owned my own company and worked as a wholesale distributor in the tropical fish industry. The use of hormones is not only common practice, it's openly admitted, and discussed by many of these American based importers. Like many consumer goods, in many cases it has actually become cheaper to import African cichlids from Asia, than to grow them out in ponds in Florida. And with African cichlids color sells, so the sooner a fish shows color the better it is for business.

So, while the US based distributor that supplies a store may safely call themselves a "hormone free" facility, as they themselves do not utilize hormones, that does not necessarily equate to them not supplying fish that have been treated with hormones prior to arriving at their facility.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store