Fish I.D.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
I don't think its a swamp darter as the mouth is awfully big for a darter. It might be a goby species. The minnow appeared to be Labeo species..
Don't think the 'swamp darter' will make it.. Apparently it's lying on the bottom upside down..
Labeo.. hmm the mouth does seem to be those sucking type, constantly moving..

The first one almost looks ljke a big head or silver carp

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Interesting, I'll grow him up to see what it turns out to be..

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
The cichlids look like baby nile tilapia. The weirdo is a swamp darter or zipper loach?
The two cichlids don't seem to resemble baby nile tilapia that I searched online.. The ones I've have black dot towards the end of their dorsal fins..
The weirdo that died wasn't a zipper cause it had no tiny whiskers..

sun catfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2008
california
the cichlid like ones i say tilapia of some sort the carp looking one i would say mudsucker of some sort and for the goby looking one i dont think its a swamp darter possibly a verry young freshwater sculpin

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
well south american cichlids all have the same kind of pattern and shape as fry, those fish you have are most likely tilapia, I've seen baby ones for sale before and they had that same pattern that yours have. if not tilapia they could be another kind of african cichlid, either rift lake or west african. you could also ask in the african section someone might know the ID 100%

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree about the Asian goby, I just saw hundreds of similar gobys the other day snorkling in Lake Michigan. They are a very adaptable invasive species that has taken over the inshore biotope here.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
All Tilapines have the spot when young, it is in fact called, the Tilapia spot by some.
And Tilapia originate in Africa.

The above are a Tilapine called Oreochromis tanganykia, although the ones below looked the same at that size, and are Nile Tilapia

They look different at different sizes

The one above is approx 15"

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Nile Tilpia get 18"-24" just a good size. I wish I could have one in my tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store