Fish ideas... I know this has been asked n number of times...

kookiejar2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2007
India
Okay here's the scenario:

I have big CA/SA cichlids (red devils mostly), a fader FH, a school of silver dollars as dithers with a couple of bichirs in a 6L x 1.5B x 2H tank (the depth is the weak point I know).

Now I'm tired of territorial cichlids' killing/wounding one at a time game.... so except for the FH (10" right now) would like to get into something else ready to take on the FH, but not so territorial to bump each other off. I'm open to catfish, bichirs, or any other oddball.

Now the problem is, I'm out of ideas.... whatever comes to my mind is either too big for a 1.5' breadth tank, or won't be able to handle the FH, or is not available in my country.

So asking for a li'l help here to see if I'm missing some interesting options....

Thanks in advance.

p.s: a lone FH should be good, but would be suddenly too empty!

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
flowerhorns should always be 1 per tank

kookiejar2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2007
India
mercury904;4259865; said:
flowerhorns should always be 1 per tank
I have kept fish for quite sometime to know this..... but have seen otherwise being done successfully too. I have a FH with other fish AND he's NOT on top of the pecking order. One FH per tank rule is pretty elementary and advanced hobbyists have done tricks to break that rule many times... and successfully too! Quite a few MFK-ers will vouch for that....

I appreciate/value your opinion..... but I'm looking for some advanced ideas....

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
kookiejar2;4259958; said:
I have kept fish for quite sometime to know this..... but have seen otherwise being done successfully too. I have a FH with other fish AND he's NOT on top of the pecking order. One FH per tank rule is pretty elementary and advanced hobbyists have done tricks to break that rule many times... and successfully too! Quite a few MFK-ers will vouch for that....

I appreciate/value your opinion..... but I'm looking for some advanced ideas....

well if you define advanced as risky

why risk the life of your pet?

just being concerned here... its your fish not mine :)

happy fishkeeping!:)

kookiejar2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2007
India
mercury904;4260044; said:
well if you define advanced as risky

why risk the life of your pet?

just being concerned here... its your fish not mine :)

happy fishkeeping!:)
It's risky.... but if the tricks, choice of fish, hiding spots etc. are well thought of, it has paid off quite successfully without risking the fishes in concern.... at least sometimes. That's why I'm asking this question.... on MFK out of all other places. I know people here have tried various apparently risky combinations and it has worked better than a lot of the tried and tested ways of keeping FH.

I might have to end up keeping only the FH.... but I'm trying to get expert ideas to see some other ways of doing the tank stocking.

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
kookiejar2;4260083; said:
It's risky.... but if the tricks, choice of fish, hiding spots etc. are well thought of, it has paid off quite successfully without risking the fishes in concern.... at least sometimes. That's why I'm asking this question.... on MFK out of all other places. I know people here have tried various apparently risky combinations and it has worked better than a lot of the tried and tested ways of keeping FH.

I might have to end up keeping only the FH.... but I'm trying to get expert ideas to see some other ways of doing the tank stocking.

here's an expert idea....

buy a tank divider :)

FYI : I used to breed FH for a living :)

happy fishkeeping dude! :)

kookiejar2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2007
India
mercury904;4260088; said:
here's an expert idea....

buy a tank divider :)

FYI : I used to breed FH for a living :)

happy fishkeeping dude! :)
Thanks for your expert idea.... but the problem is I'm NOT intending to breed FHs. The concept of a 'show tank' rings a bell to you?!

And FYI I have bred quite a few CA/SA cichlids, red devils, carpintis etc.... trust me not much different than breeding FHs.... FHs are also fish... not monsters from the dark side as people make them to be.....may be overtly aggressive.... so what? There are equally aggressive red devils, jags etc....

So, your expert idea is not helping me with my particular query. Anyone else?

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
I've never kept fh, but from my experience with CA/SA cichlids... you should be able to make it work as long as there are enough sight breakers, dithers, and spread out food at feeding time...

kookiejar2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2007
India
Citrinellus;4260630; said:
I've never kept fh, but from my experience with CA/SA cichlids... you should be able to make it work as long as there are enough sight breakers, dithers, and spread out food at feeding time...
Now, that's more like the replies I'm looking for! Thanks man!

I, more or less do all that you suggested in my present setup.... but am planning to do something similarly workable, only thing..... with non cichlids this time except for the FH. Any ideas?
Basically I want to look at a tank with 5/6 adult fishes (1 FH + 4/5 non cichlids) with one huge driftwood... all show quality in their own ways.... and at the same time workable.
Tough question..... but I'm sure I'll get some first hand advices from MFK for the stock I'm thinking of.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store