Fish knocked out

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
So here is what happened our ale synspillum freaked out and slammed into the glass. He knocked himself out I would guess as he went belly up and sank to the bottom of the tank. His fins would move and tail would wiggle but laid there upside down. Not knowing how long he would be out and not wanting to startle him again I let him lay there for a minute or two.
I reached in and set him upright and he sat there calmly or dazed but fins moving normally. The next mourning he was swimming around but disoriented and still that way now. It has been has been four days how long before he fully recovers? Or will will he remain in his current state.

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
So here is what happened our ale synspillum freaked out and slammed into the glass. He knocked himself out I would guess as he went belly up and sank to the bottom of the tank. His fins would move and tail would wiggle but laid there upside down. Not knowing how long he would be out and not wanting to startle him again I let him lay there for a minute or two.
I reached in and set him upright and he sat there calmly or dazed but fins moving normally. The next mourning he was swimming around but disoriented and still that way now. It has been has been four days how long before he fully recovers? Or will will he remain in his current state.
Damn! Sorry to hear that! I honestly don't know if he'll get better? Had a buddy a couple yes back lost his silver arowana because it slammed its head against the class so hard. Hope he gets better, Best of luck! :(

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Four days is long enough to recover from a simple knock....the fish may have permanently injured itself unfortunately. I would just continue to care for it as usual and hope for the best. If it had been a spinal injury (and it still may be) same thing. If there is improvement from original condition, then it probably wasn't a spinal injury, but if it is the same and the only changes are the state of consciousness, it very well could be a spinal injury.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
In the future, not sure if it would help but this is what I would have done, place him in front of a powerhead close to a bubbler to get water and oxygen flowing through the gills. You would have to hold him there, there is a chance (not sure if this is what happened, I'm not a doctor) that it wasn't getting enough oxygen to its brain and may be left with some brain damage, and I think the powerhead of water along with the bubbles flowing through its mouth into its gills may have helped that while he was physically stunned. I am not sure of what else could have been done and that is the only real remedy I know for fish going belly up, sorry this happened to you man.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
It does sound like a serious brain injury. Hard to say if you will see any recovery but it is possible to recover function over a period of weeks to even months. Hopefully you will start to see small improvements....

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Sorry to hear this
. Is he still eating and are there other tankmates that may further injure him ?

Reactions: boldtogether
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store