fish swimming/acting irregularly

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
i have a couple barramundi with some tarpon and other fish, 1 barra is swimming head up with they’re mouth open and the other is swimming in an almost snake like pattern the barramundi are the only fish in the tank out of 5 different species that are acting up what can i do to help them get better?

image.jpg

image.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i have a couple barramundi with some tarpon and other fish, 1 barra is swimming head up with they’re mouth open and the other is swimming in an almost snake like pattern the barramundi are the only fish in the tank out of 5 different species that are acting up what can i do to help them get better?

View attachment 1537032

View attachment 1537034
How long have you had the Barramundi?
The one in the first pic has a sunken belly. Are the Barramundi eating?

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
How long have you had the Barramundi?
The one in the first pic has a sunken belly. Are the Barramundi eating?
i got them 3 days ago both have been eating good up until today the one in the first pic wouldn’t eat this morning but the second one ate today he just had some trouble swimming to the food before the other fish got to it

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i got them 3 days ago both have been eating good up until today the one in the first pic wouldn’t eat this morning but the second one ate today he just had some trouble swimming to the food before the other fish got to it
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter what's your thought on what could be wrong?

Reactions: Joshuakahan

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter what's your thought on what could be wrong?
i initially thought that it was a oxygen deficiency in the water due to the way they were acting gasping at the top and staying on top of the bubblers but i have such a diverse spectrum of fish in there that it would be affecting more than just the mundi’s if that was the case, so at this point I'm completely lost as to what could be causing them to act like that

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ive had fish behave like that when shocked with cold water during a water change. This can affect each species differently, as some fish handle the temperature swings better than others.

Reactions: tlindsey

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
Ive had fish behave like that when shocked with cold water during a water change. This can affect each species differently, as some fish handle the temperature swings better than others.
the last water change they would’ve had was 3 days ago could they just be showing delayed signs of shock?

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
Nah, probably not.

Are they still acting like this? Consider checking for parasites like velvet(oodinium). Very common when introducing new fish.
yea they still are how do i do that i’ve only ever had to deal with external parasite's and sickness like ick and swim bladder issues im not even sure what to look for when it comes to internal parasites, is it something i need to worry about it transferring to my other fish? the fish in question originally came from predatory fins idk if that would make them les likely to have parasites or not

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store