fish swimming/acting irregularly

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
yea they still are how do i do that i’ve only ever had to deal with external parasite's and sickness like ick and swim bladder issues im not even sure what to look for when it comes to internal parasites, is it something i need to worry about it transferring to my other fish? the fish in question originally came from predatory fins idk if that would make them les likely to have parasites or not
No i wouldnt jump to any conclusions, just keep an eye on them. Velvet or similar pathogens can affect the gills, making it difficult to breathe or swim. I would just do some research on freshwater oodinium and similar parasites and watch for symptoms.

Reactions: tlindsey

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
No i wouldnt jump to any conclusions, just keep an eye on them. Velvet or similar pathogens can affect the gills, making it difficult to breathe or swim. I would just do some research on freshwater oodinium and similar parasites and watch for symptoms.
ok thanks i just picked up some coppersafe just inacase i got the fritz brand ill definitely take a closer look at they're gills and stuff to see if i notice anything, thanks for all the help it’s greatly appreciated

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What are your water parameters - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp, KH, TDS?

If they ate in the first 1-2 days, it's a great sign that they weren't shocked by the move and acclimated quickly to your water and tank. At 1st approx. this could rule out that something could have gone wrong during the transport and acclimation, e.g. gill burn by ammonia or by a pH jump, water being vastly different, etc.

Getting sick on the 3rd day may indeed point out to a disease they contracted in the new tank. What kind of a disease - parasitic, bacterial, viral can be very hard to say. A sequence of wide spectrum treatments might eventually help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store