fish to keep with jack dempseys?

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
hello all so i currently have a growup tank of 45 gallons with 4 juvenile jd a pleco and a catfish all fish are under 4 inches and i am soon going to be rehoming two or three of the jacks as i am trying to breed, keeping that n mind does anyone have any suggestions what else i could keep in here that wont just get eaten, i like clown loaches and am open to any suggestions (my tank has lots of cover and hideouts to help)

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
45 is gonna be small for a male JD eventually, would be OK for a female IMO. What tank size you move them to and how long until the upgrade will determine the answer for suitable tankmates.

Reactions: huntery18

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
45 is gonna be small for a male JD eventually, would be OK for a female IMO. What tank size you move them to and how long until the upgrade will determine the answer for suitable tankmates.
well as soon as i get a suitable pair i will start the new tank process so im looking for fish i can keep for lets say two months or more before needing rehome, i do 25% weekly water changes and scheduled feedings

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
well as soon as i get a suitable pair i will start the new tank process so im looking for fish i can keep for lets say two months or more before needing rehome, i do 25% weekly water changes and scheduled feedings
in that case, why bother getting more fish for the 45, I would just keep what you have and wait for a pair to form

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
in that case, why bother getting more fish for the 45, I would just keep what you have and wait for a pair to form
either i buy them now or i buy them in two months either way they will be going in my larger aquarium i buy soon, just looking for suggestions on tankmates

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
either i buy them now or i buy them in two months either way they will be going in my larger aquarium i buy soon, just looking for suggestions on tankmates
How much larger are you thinking? A breeding pair of adult jacks (or any large CA cichlid) will not want tankmates in most tanks, unless you go really large. Single jack would make it a bit easier, breeding pairs require a lot more territory and are much tougher on tankmates

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
How much larger are you thinking? A breeding pair of adult jacks (or any large CA cichlid) will not want tankmates in most tanks, unless you go really large. Single jack would make it a bit easier, breeding pairs require a lot more territory and are much tougher on tankmates
roughly between 125 to 215

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I have fire mouths, a blue point convict, a blue acara, and several bichirs with mine. I've kept and bred j.d.s for over 30 years and have come to believe their reps are seldom as bad as people say. BUT...I have had some males that were down right vicious.

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
I have fire mouths, a blue point convict, a blue acara, and several bichirs with mine. I've kept and bred j.d.s for over 30 years and have come to believe their reps are seldom as bad as people say. BUT...I have had some males that were down right vicious.
i feel firemouths will get to large too quick im thinking maybe a schooling fish or bottom dweller maybe two clown loaches or like 3 tiger barbs, whats your oppinion?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
You'd likely end up with sibling fish, I think you should just keep the best ONE and then get another unrelated one from a diff provider when the upgrade occurs.

As far as tankmates,how about a half dozen swordtails?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store