Fishing lakes with a salty pole?

Spearo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
LA, CA
Some specs on the pole and reel would be nice.

I generally use my saltwater pier fishing setup for catfish. It consists of a Shimano Baitrunner reel, spooled with 20 or 25lb test mono (Izor XXX smoke color).

Rod is an old custom rod of unknown manufacturer blank, I picked it up for cheap at a local shop. Rated for 25lb test and it is a great rod, medium fast action. So it shuts off at about the 3-4 guide.

This setup works great for catfish around here. Some people fish lighter (15lb). However, I prefer the heavier line, because I like to pull the fish away from cover as quickly as possible.
Catfish are not line shy anyway. So it won't matter... you should be fishing them at night time too.

I like to carolina rig my catfish setup. Do a decent cast, let out some line, and engage the baitfeeder system on the loosest drag possible. Then I leave it in the rod holder, and just wait. The catfish will pick up the bait and swallow it, never knowing they are hooked. Once I see/hear the line running out, I will count 5-8 seconds (to make sure they have swallowed the bait). I then disengage the baitfeeder, and let the main drag take over. No wild swing to set the hook necessary. At this point the fish has hooked himself... in the stomach!:) Just keep steady pressure, rod tip high to keep them off the bottom, and reel them in.

Chicken liver, Beef liver, Cut Mackeral, and night crawler all work good for bait. A deadly bait not many people use that I would recommend.... salmon.
Not the good parts of the salmon, the leftovers, like the collars.
Salmon is even more oily than Mackeral. So it works extremely well at creating that oil slick scent for catfish to follow.

I go down to the Asian fish market, and ask them for their Salmon leftovers. They are more than happy to give them to me, because they are gonna throw it out anyways.

Spearo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
LA, CA
oscarcrazy;4115119; said:
Man the collars are one of the best parts!!!!!

I disagree, the cheeks are the best part.:D
The cheek meat on fish is delicious, sweet and tasty.

oscarcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Houston, TX/Juneau, AK
Spearo;4116074; said:
I disagree, the cheeks are the best part.:D
The cheek meat on fish is delicious, sweet and tasty.

I agree the cheeks are great. Salmon nuggets. I like to split the head then salt and bake it. Don't forget the eye balls. No kidding, those are real nice.

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
oscarcrazy;4115119; said:
Man the collars are one of the best parts!!!!!
Ever try yellow tail collars? They are even more rich in flavor

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store