divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Today was opening day of trout and I think I did pretty well. Not as good as the last two years but those two were exceptional for opening day. Totaled up at 12 fish landed for myself today including 10 Rainbows (9-14"), 1 Brown (12"), and a beast of an 18" White Sucker. Honestly, the sucker was my favorite catch of the day and it peeled line off my reel heading downstream for a few yards, took a good 5 minutes to land him! Aside from me, my uncle caught 13 fish (Rainbows and Browns) and my dad caught 5 (Rainbows, a Brown, and. Northern Hogsucker) making our group total 30 fish. Overall a great day on the water starting at 5:00 AM (fishing started at 8:00 AM) and ending at 7:30 PM and all fish we caught were released to catch another day.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: Frank Castle

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Had another great day on the creek. Although we only got out for a few hours in the morning, the action was much faster than yesterday and I was able to land 11 Trout consisting of 10 Rainbows (9-12") and a nice 14" Brown at the very end. My dad also caught 5 fish including a small Brown, 2 Northern Hogsuckers, and 2 Rainbows, one of which was a beastly 21" that almost broke his light 4'8" rod.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
My buddy and I went out for Flatheads today....started around 1pm catching creek chubs on our trout tackle and after we spent a good 10 minutes and had 30 or so, we drove to the spot and fished for about 4+ hours without a single catfish!!! My friend caught a 10" Smallmouth on an 8" chub though lol Found a few hellgrammites and tried them out for bass since the cats weren't active and I lost one after a brief hit. Checked water temps last night and today and it was 60F and then 65F today, so well over 58F which is supposedly what temperature Flatheads become active. Talked to a few HS-Kids that were fishing who came a bit after us and they said they have only seen ONE this year, which was last night around 8PM, so we were kinda bummed out. I told my friend it was too early but still knowing the Flatheads and Channels can be aggressive pre-spawn.......I was right, sadly.

Went out yesterday for trout also and took my mom along.....fished about an hour or so and lost 4 out of 4!!!!!

Just wanted to post and tell of my 2 awesome expeditions recently since we caught SOOOO many fish. :(

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I feel your pain. 2 years ago we gave up 4 hours in in a lake we've fished for about 20 years now. We almost always catch 5-10+ bass each.

We had 1 bite each and when a bald eagle swooped down and picked up a 3 lb bass we called it a day after that. 4 hours and nothing but a nibble? And that eagle can do that 50 ft infront of us? To hell with fishing today!!!!

JustinCLemly

Gambusia
Apr 3, 2016
Fished Friday after work and caught 7 largemouth out of a pond near work. Nothing over 1.5 lbs. . Then fished all day Sunday. Nabbed a few channels between 6 and 9 lbs, with a few smaller ones mixed in. Lost what I believe to be a large flathead after my 30lb leader broke. Bass were biting good on the river also, our party caught at least 30, but again nothing over 1.5lbs.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
My buddy and I went out for Flatheads today....started around 1pm catching creek chubs on our trout tackle and after we spent a good 10 minutes and had 30 or so, we drove to the spot and fished for about 4+ hours without a single catfish!!! My friend caught a 10" Smallmouth on an 8" chub though lol Found a few hellgrammites and tried them out for bass since the cats weren't active and I lost one after a brief hit. Checked water temps last night and today and it was 60F and then 65F today, so well over 58F which is supposedly what temperature Flatheads become active. Talked to a few HS-Kids that were fishing who came a bit after us and they said they have only seen ONE this year, which was last night around 8PM, so we were kinda bummed out. I told my friend it was too early but still knowing the Flatheads and Channels can be aggressive pre-spawn.......I was right, sadly.

Went out yesterday for trout also and took my mom along.....fished about an hour or so and lost 4 out of 4!!!!!

Just wanted to post and tell of my 2 awesome expeditions recently since we caught SOOOO many fish. :(
Hopefully the Flathead season picks up for you soon, I've only ever caught a 24" one but I know how great the fight is from them.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Went out yesterday for about 5 hours and caught 4 fish, plus my uncle caught 4. Started out in what we call the "Wilderness Stretch" of my local creek (not stocked, all trout moved up or downstream in to it) fly fishing with streamers. I caught a pretty nice Brown (~14") on a silver pattern I tied last month and my uncle got a pretty good Rainbow (12-14"). After that we move down to the stocked bait fishing section, I fished my new favorite hole with powerbait and got 2 Rainbows (10-12") and my uncle caught 3 more Rainbows, about the same size. Then finally, right as it started to turn pitch black I felt something lightly tap my powerbait then head under a tree. Set the hook and it ran downstream for a while, thought I had a nice brown because I saw yellow and it was staying down but it turned out to be a beautiful trophy of a 12" Yellow Bullhead (which I've never even seen in this creek)! That fish and the first Brown I caught were tied for my favorite fish for the night.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Went up to the State College aea in PA to fish the state trout opener this past weekend. Did okay caught around 40 for three days. Did notice in both the SEPA and central PA the stocking was pretty half ass. Fish really haven't moved and the water level was way down. On opening day I started out fishing Standing Stone Creek right by our cabin and did decent there. Fished close to an hour in holes that always produced to not even see a fish or flash. Made it down to a bridge and found where the stocking truck dumped everything. Landed nine there with a brownie at 17" and bow at 20". Left there and hit Greenwood Furance and managed a half dozen brookies. Finished the day fishing Laurel Run and landed another half dozen brookies. Sunday fished Penns Creek around Couburn PA. Did pretty well in the hour or so we fished the stocked section landing around a dozen fish mixed bag of brownies and bows. Then moved to the trophy section in Bald Eagle State Park. Fished around two miles worth of creek with nothing to show. Finally the stretch back near where we parked produced with a crazy hatch going on. Put a dry fly on and landed two fish in around an hour up to around 16". Both wild brownies. Monday I wrapped up at Laurel Run again and landed another dozen fish on streamers and dry flies. Overall good opening weekend managed my first fish on a dry fly which was cool. Wish I had pictures but didnt have my phone on me due to no service anywhere I fished.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I feel your pain. 2 years ago we gave up 4 hours in in a lake we've fished for about 20 years now. We almost always catch 5-10+ bass each.

We had 1 bite each and when a bald eagle swooped down and picked up a 3 lb bass we called it a day after that. 4 hours and nothing but a nibble? And that eagle can do that 50 ft infront of us? To hell with fishing today!!!!
I think it was just because it was a full moon last night and we didn't realize it when we planned our trip
Fished Friday after work and caught 7 largemouth out of a pond near work. Nothing over 1.5 lbs. . Then fished all day Sunday. Nabbed a few channels between 6 and 9 lbs, with a few smaller ones mixed in. Lost what I believe to be a large flathead after my 30lb leader broke. Bass were biting good on the river also, our party caught at least 30, but again nothing over 1.5lbs.
What area are you fishing/from?
Hopefully the Flathead season picks up for you soon, I've only ever caught a 24" one but I know how great the fight is from them.
It's great when they're aggressive, but they can get pretty sluggish at times
Went out yesterday for about 5 hours and caught 4 fish, plus my uncle caught 4. Started out in what we call the "Wilderness Stretch" of my local creek (not stocked, all trout moved up or downstream in to it) fly fishing with streamers. I caught a pretty nice Brown (~14") on a silver pattern I tied last month and my uncle got a pretty good Rainbow (12-14"). After that we move down to the stocked bait fishing section, I fished my new favorite hole with powerbait and got 2 Rainbows (10-12") and my uncle caught 3 more Rainbows, about the same size. Then finally, right as it started to turn pitch black I felt something lightly tap my powerbait then head under a tree. Set the hook and it ran downstream for a while, thought I had a nice brown because I saw yellow and it was staying down but it turned out to be a beautiful trophy of a 12" Yellow Bullhead (which I've never even seen in this creek)! That fish and the first Brown I caught were tied for my favorite fish for the night.

View attachment 1178447

View attachment 1178448
HAH!! a TROPHY would be 18"!! ;) Still an exceptional fish though. Very rare to see Bullheads with some size to them
Went up to the State College aea in PA to fish the state trout opener this past weekend. Did okay caught around 40 for three days. Did notice in both the SEPA and central PA the stocking was pretty half ass. Fish really haven't moved and the water level was way down. On opening day I started out fishing Standing Stone Creek right by our cabin and did decent there. Fished close to an hour in holes that always produced to not even see a fish or flash. Made it down to a bridge and found where the stocking truck dumped everything. Landed nine there with a brownie at 17" and bow at 20". Left there and hit Greenwood Furance and managed a half dozen brookies. Finished the day fishing Laurel Run and landed another half dozen brookies. Sunday fished Penns Creek around Couburn PA. Did pretty well in the hour or so we fished the stocked section landing around a dozen fish mixed bag of brownies and bows. Then moved to the trophy section in Bald Eagle State Park. Fished around two miles worth of creek with nothing to show. Finally the stretch back near where we parked produced with a crazy hatch going on. Put a dry fly on and landed two fish in around an hour up to around 16". Both wild brownies. Monday I wrapped up at Laurel Run again and landed another dozen fish on streamers and dry flies. Overall good opening weekend managed my first fish on a dry fly which was cool. Wish I had pictures but didnt have my phone on me due to no service anywhere I fished.
Whaat else were you guys getting action on besides the dry flies? Live bait, lures, combo platter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store