FISHING VENT, or what the heck happened to my life?

Well, before I say this, let me tell you that I love my wife and kids above all else...

Having said that, now that i approach 40, with a job, a mortage, bill payments and daycare costs, I fish less and less every year.

I truly thought that by 40, i'd own my own fishing boat, and would be able to fish as I pleased. Unfortunately the reality is that I fish in fits and spurts at my aging parents cottage, on 6-8 weekends a year, at least when its not raining. And guess what, my mom and dad are going to sell said cottage, at least they threaten to, as soon as they require the money to pay for thier old age care, even though the own a large house that I grew up in as well.

My dad has promissed me his boat, the one that I have fished in since I was 13. But a 16 foot bow rider is useless to me, without a cottage to keep it at. I would like a smaller aluminum fishing boat with pedestal seats and a mid range outboard - a boat I could tow with a car or a small SUV. Heck, I can' afford a truck!

Is this sour grapes of a ungratefull son? I certainly don't think so, just a vent from a guy who loves to fish, but can't afford to do it, in terms of time and/or money.

My wife puts up with my requests to go fishing for the most part, but she has her limits, and my kids are too young to go for a full days worth of fishing... I know, take what you can get and clam up you'll tell me... that i've had it good in the past you'll tell me. that you never even had a boat, albiet a parents, to fish out of... i know.. i get it.

It's just that I remember that 10 year old kid I once was, who would fish in the river in his backyard for countless hours every weekend, forgoing meals and bathroom breaks, who dreamed of fishing and poured over the fishing magazines and couldn't sleep the night before sportsmen and fishing shows. A boy who would trail at his fathers feet, begging to go to the local tackle shops. I feel i've failed that little boy. Sticking him in a cube infront of a keyboard for 9 hours a day...

End vent.

Dreamsofpeace54

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
Maryland
My father will turn 58 in september. We finally purchased a boat last week with a little help from my grandmother. Hes estatic about it and cant wait to get it stickered and out on the water. As his youngest son at age 21 and also loves fishing, im excited too.

my point: be patient, there are times to force the envitable and times to wait. You'll have the rest of your life to fish, but your children will only be that young for a few short years. Enjoy their childhood. One day they may be old enough to want to fish with you and then theyll be pushing you out the door everytime.

or theyll wanna ditch you for their friends and you'll have all the time in the world to fish.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
The rest of our lives included yesterday and today as well as tomorrow. If you didn't fish today, and you didn't fish yesterday, what's tomorrow got that this day didn't?

I feel for you. As a youngster I thought I would either magically have money as an adult or die as a teenager. But what's happening is worse. I'm still poor and I'm not dead, and the dreams haven't gone away. Every pursuit, dream and discovery taunts me and all I can do is watch the life I know I could have lived float by on a raft made grocery budgets and failure. The worst thing God can do to a man is to grant him intellect and deny him resources. We are prisoners.

Dreamsofpeace54;4150959; said:
My father will turn 58 in september. We finally purchased a boat last week with a little help from my grandmother. Hes estatic about it and cant wait to get it stickered and out on the water. As his youngest son at age 21 and also loves fishing, im excited too.

my point: be patient, there are times to force the envitable and times to wait. You'll have the rest of your life to fish, but your children will only be that young for a few short years. Enjoy their childhood. One day they may be old enough to want to fish with you and then theyll be pushing you out the door everytime.

or theyll wanna ditch you for their friends and you'll have all the time in the world to fish.

Good points. Now, I hope I live a long life so i can enjoy it!

Blankmanrl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
South carolina
It happens to the best of us. I have been married for a year now. I am only 24 and things have changed like hell for me. I have not been fishing in about 2 good years and I hate it, but one day I will be back. So keep your head up it will get better.

Dreamsofpeace54

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
Maryland
Redearsunfish;4151066; said:
Good points. Now, I hope I live a long life so i can enjoy it!
i also enjoyed that quote. sent it to my girlfriend i liked it so much.

you have to take care of yourself so you can enjoy the rest of your life but also to set an example for your kids. theyll want to see you live a long happy life as much as you want them to.

Dreamsofpeace54;4151140; said:
i also enjoyed that quote. sent it to my girlfriend i liked it so much.

you have to take care of yourself so you can enjoy the rest of your life but also to set an example for your kids. theyll want to see you live a long happy life as much as you want them to.
Thanks man, sage advice.

oscarcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2008
Houston, TX/Juneau, AK
I feel your pain. I am 31 and married with 3 kids. Fishing for me now is something that happens every once in while. Used to fish everyday. I have been working in the fishing guide industry in Alaska since I was 13. Last couple of years have been tough being away from Alaska fishing, but my family is more important. As my kids are getting older, they are enjoying the sport. My 9 year old boy loves to fish just as much as I do. My wife is becoming more and more understanding of my addiction and we try to make fishing as much a part of our family outings as we can.

Just remember that for most, fishing is a hobby. Something to do in spare time with spare resources. Family needs to come way before that. Trust me, a 300 pound halibut can put a hell of a smile on your face. But that is still nothing compared to the smile I get when one of my kids gives me a hug.

nomad

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2008
Colorado
Redearsunfish;4151062; said:
"The worst thing God can do to a man is to grant him intellect and deny him resources. We are prisoners."

great quote.
this makes absolutely no sense :nilly:. the best resource IS your intellect. YOU are the one in charge and your condition is the direct result of your actions.
how god denied you resources ?....by not slipping a gym bag full of cash under your bed when you came into this world ?
you gave your own answer .....get a smaller/cheaper boat that you can trail behind your car, enjoy your time outdoors and explain to your wife that fishing makes you a happier person therefore a better husband.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store