Fishkeepers helping move tanks.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Two guys and a 240....
When my 210 was delivered, there was just one guy....he had the tank on the truck strapped to a dolly...he quite effortlessly rolled it on to the lift gate, lowered himself down with the tank and gingerly rolled it across the street where he parked to my driveway. Now, I have a straight shot, all concrete from front driveway along the side of my house to the back slider with no elevation change....seems simple right?
He refused to wheel it back. Nope, "I set them in the driveway, and I move on."
I said, "well at least let me open the garage and you can roll it in then" Nope. So, I told him to take it back. He said, "ok, help me load it back on the truck?" Nope.
He finally stopped being a douche and we both rolled it along the side of the house into the back room through te slider.
People just don't want to give at all...sad really.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
i have a story..

I helped a buddy move his 240 from the truck into his house.. just the two of us.. as soon as we had it off the back of his truck I knew I was in trouble.
Made it across his yard and up the first few steps.. as I took the last step up into the house (backwards) I stepped too far and my leg collapsed. So I was sitting there on folded legs with probably 400lbs in my lap. He put his end down to help and the bottom cracked. Being the nice friend I paid the $300 it took to fix it.
That's crazy, at least you didn't break your leg or something like that. Thumbs up for helping out with the repair.

Reactions: boldtogether

docturtle91b

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2011
leland nc swampsylvania
Well Im moving this weekend and would love help but no one close so I feel your pain there. At least I get to set my tanks up next week. :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow, Spiff, did you get injured? 240 all glass? I got 10 of these 8x2x2 from Glass cages. There were ~400 lbs each if not more.

Miscellaneous job workers advertise on CL too.

The idea is excellent but IDK how to realize it.

Not without precautions though. A lots of things can go wrong both with the people and the tank so it all should be discussed up front and all should be of good will and ready to take whatever happens as their responsibility, not blame the host or the helpers whatever happens.

Reactions: Woefulrelic

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
No, didn't get hurt luckily. It was just a stupid and expensive mistake. I'm not sure the weight but I know it was an unusually heavy tank because it was an older tank with 3/4inch thick panes. I don't think you see glass that thick on tanks today. I was in my prime and I was able to stiff arm carry 400lbs very easily so I'm pretty sure that the whole tank must have been over 800-900lbs.

The bottom might not have cracked either if it wasn't drilled.

I just sold my 140.. made sure we squared up money-wise before we moved it.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have moved many tanks and do not see how you can ask your helpers to be held responsible if something happens... I have moved many tanks some in places they shouldn't have fit threw. I could never ask a helper to pay for a piece of glass because it was dropped or bumped and chipped that is the responsibility of the tank owner not the free help lol. I guess this is where people differ, people that help me would be willing to chip in and help because it happened without question as I would do the same and most likely take it apart and fix it for them

Reactions: Woefulrelic

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have moved many tanks and do not see how you can ask your helpers to be held responsible if something happens... I have moved many tanks some in places they shouldn't have fit threw. I could never ask a helper to pay for a piece of glass because it was dropped or bumped and chipped that is the responsibility of the tank owner not the free help lol. I guess this is where people differ, people that help me would be willing to chip in and help because it happened without question as I would do the same and most likely take it apart and fix it for them
Unless I miss understood what you ment thebiggerthebetter

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
True... I felt it was borderline too.. which made all the harder to cough up the dough. I voiced that I thought we needed more people.. friend said lets pull it off the truck to get a feel if we could manage or not.. and I agreed. As soon as it was off the truck, I opted for trying to make it across the yard instead of putting it right back on the truck. So it broke because I misjudged being able to make it across the yard and up the stairs.

If he had went up first so I didn't have to go backwards we probably would have been fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store