Fishless Cycling

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
i know this is 4 years old but i'm surprised it wasn't stickied. Is there improper info in it?

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
a cleaner way is to take old filter media from a filter in an already established tank and put it in the new tank.

Dyph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Ontario
Good read, all the technical data is great. I personally learned years and years ago to cycle in a similar way from my dad. If you already have a tank going and established use waste water or filter rinsings to add bacteria and waste to the cycling tank. Test accordingly and wait for it to normalize naturally. Still do it to this day...or just zyme and $2 worth of comets if I worry to bother.

+1 for sticky

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LeeSea

Feeder Fish
Nov 29, 2018
Help, I thought I cycled my tank and the plants are thriving. I bought 2 endlers, and they seemed to do fine for a couple hours, I left for an hour after that and came back both fish were dead, I was only gone a few hours. So somewhere between 4 & 5 hours they died. I didn't do an ammonia test but I never had fish in there, so I stuck a Tetra from another over populated tank in there and this time the fish died within 10 minutes. I did another strip test, nitrite was 0, there were some nitrates. I only have an in tank foam air filter.... What am I doing wrong?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store