fishroom build and 800 gallon tropical pond

mattman9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2014
manchester, england
Ive had a change of plan with the pond, im now making a poured reinforced conrete pond, the frame is now up ready for the concrete to be poured on tuesday, the pond is now 6'x4'x2' with a smaller overflow pond attached at the side which measures 2'x2'x1.5' which will have a 3000litre an hour return pump, also the heaters and filters will be in the overflow pond which will be heavily planted and also be used as a quarantine pond, il upload some more pics tonight when ive finished working on the mould

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Sounds great! Please get a lot of pics and post the progress.

mattman9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2014
manchester, england
Was working on the mould last night till pretty late so didnt have time to upload any pics but will be tonight, ive installed a 4" waste pipe for the overflow which splits into 2 which il be putting 2 filter socks on, the only other filter will be the plants in the small pond, any advice on plants? Im new to plants but i want plants which will grow out of the water so i wont need to use any co2, i know java ferns will but unsure of any others, any help will be great

mattman9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2014
manchester, england

Just a few pics of the old 100g and 55g before i moved and before i got the paroon sharks and george the giant gourami, il upload a pic of there new temp pond setup in the dining room

mattman9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2014
manchester, england

Just a couple of pics of the progress so far, i just have to pick up one more peice of wood and finish the mould then pour the reinforced concrete,all the return pipes are being installed in the concrete cavity wall tomorrow so theyll be concreted into the walls so no equipment will be on show at all so should look like a natural pond, also il be fitting my auto water change piping and drain on saturday to eliminate water changes.

mattman9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2014
manchester, england
So not much progress just waiting on the cement to arrive, ive started to gather plants for the fish room and have 15kg of pond weed in a container ready for the filter pond, ive started laying pipes in the floor of the pond for the under floor heating. Im putting a solar water heater on a closed loop on the garage roof which will be powered by a 100w pump also powered by a 120w solar panel. So in theory my pond should be heated for free during the day and my electricity is half price from 7pm-6am so running the 4 300w heaters wont be as expensive, my waterfall is also solar powered so really cutting back on long term running cost.the only thing plugged in will be my main pump and 4 heaters, bio filtration is free to run and my lights are 4x 5w spotlights and the huge windows for natural light.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Rtc is going to grow like a weed and probably eat some stock.

Sweet build. It sounds really interesting

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mattman9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2014
manchester, england
Im going to put him in the temp pond on his own for quite a while, this is just my first pond im hoping next year to start building a big tank ive got space to build a 10'x 6'x 4' tank in the house built into the living room wall with the tank in the unused dining room but going to spend my time building that, that will be for the rtc and paroons. Ive been told no fish in the house anymore by the girlfriend but we'll see who wins that one

mattman9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2014
manchester, england
A quick update, been a bit of a delay on the concrete mixer so not got the pond poured yet but the ballast and cement are here just under a tonne. Ive just ordered a 11 litre tub of black rubberised pond paint from www.5playleisure.co.uk for £74.99 with free delivery, i should have enough for 4 coats on the pond and filter pond. Ive also ordered some expanding foam to create all the rocks for the diy background, ive also been and got a bunch of tropical plants for the background aswell. 8 just need to have a think about my waterfall i dont want too many ripples distorting the water surface so i wont see my fish but i need good flow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store