Fisk Tank Fantasies

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I don't know about you guys but I often find myself thinking of tanks I'd like to set up. I know I'll never set up every tank I think of setting up but it doesn't hurt to think about it.
Sometimes I want to start a thread asking "will this work blah blah blah" but I feel its a waste for forum space... so I'll just post in here anytime I get a "bright" idea. Feel free to post you fantasies.

I've been on a small cichlid rampage.
I think it would be cool to set up a large tank, like a 125, with a pair of rams or a pair of c.regani. With a large school of cory cats and some medium dithers, like odessa barbs. I would also like to add a couple of ralph cats to eat any eggs or babies that come from the cichlids.

Reactions: convict360

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I dream way too often about fantasy setups... Such as a 1000G paludarium setup, a 3 sided aquarium wall house and many other crazy ideas that may or may not work...

Reactions: convict360

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'm currently kicking around the idea of a large plywood build. Something along the lines of 13-14' x 4' x 30" and then building up from that another couple feet and having a reptile enclosure. Something highly aquatic like water dragons, basilisks or possibly sailfin dragons. I'd try and have both areas heavily planted.

Fish would concentrate on the gars I already have. Hopefully adding tropical and shortnose to the list. Aside from that there are a bunch of cats on my wishlist right now. Megalodoras, Pterodoras, Centrodoras, and Lithodoras for the doradids. 2 of these are easy to find. The other 2 not so much.

Albino channels are also something I find interesting. Some of the larger auchenipterids like trachycorystes or aqeneiosus if I can find them big enough. I've lost a couple ageneiosus because of the gars trying to eat them. Last for catfish and least likely to find would be some of the aussie cats, neosilurus or tandanus.

I'd plant the aquatic area with lilies, vals, crypts and aponogetons mainly if the catfish don't end up tearing them up. If that doesn't work I'd likely do giant driftwood piles for submerged decor. Above water I'd likely do nepenthes, pothos, bromeliads, orchids. Have these planted amongst larger fake vines and wood piles for whatever reptile I settle on. 3d Background across the entire back and sides. With a waterfall rigged up in one corner.

That's the current plan anyways. Small changes keep happening when I think about it but nothing major.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
My most recent fantasy has been just re-doing my corner tank for small fish, to really accentuate the tank's size; with stock such as:

danio's (top level)
mountain minnows (mid level)
cories (bottom level)

then maybe, just maybe my keyholes or something similar that will show breeding behaviour without causing destruction lol. As it stands, my Blood Parrot claims this tank; so her rampages will continue into the near future lol, the little git killed one of my tiger barbs the other day...well, probably not but still.

parrot barb 1.jpg

parrot barb 2.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
20 ft long high flow river tank with aft and tigs but will need a fantasy house to put it in, while i am at it i may as well have a new fantasy wife.
this has been my dream for a while, a high flow river setup. Not necessarily an African themed one but definitely something along those lines.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ i always wanted to make a super miniture river system, for some reason in my mind it seems like it would be harder to achieve that type of setup in say a 5-10G vs somthing much larger as the fantasy version we're talking about...

But either way, river systems do rock...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store