FL wants to whitelist fish and destroy aquarium trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3dbullxxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
Moving ahead...If people are interested, here are links to the groups and what-not near me that are doing water testing, specimen samples, meeting with people in DC as of this past week....trying to get something done. Links to read/follow should you choose:
Stel Bailey: Someone locally doing a lot. www.facebook.com/stelbailey

Back to the white-list.

Reactions: dogofwar

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
awesome info here. Perhaps in the future we should create a Florida manatee post, as lots of changes over the years in the canals near me.

but back to topic, what is the next steps us Floridans should take to keep the hobby alive here in Florida?
Well I sent a lengthy email to Desantis & Rubio outlining the problems with their actions and informed them that I would no longer be supporting them. I consider myself an independent and would happily vote for either party if I could find someone who had any integrity and common sense. I would send emails or call your representatives outlining the reasons this is damaging to an entire industry and the economy.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
But the issue at hand isn't corruption and stupidity in Iowa or New Mexico or Peru. It's corruption and stupidity in Florida. And specifically stupidity and corruption in the Florida FWS Commission. Whose corrupt and stupid Commissioners are appointed by the corrupt and stupid Governor.
If you think there is no corruption or stupidity in those areas or anywhere else for that matter you have blinders on.

Reactions: r3dbullxxx

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Good on you! Politicians need to hear from and be responsive to their constituents.

Well I sent a lengthy email to Desantis & Rubio outlining the problems with their actions and informed them that I would no longer be supporting them. I consider myself an independent and would happily vote for either party if I could find someone who had any integrity and common sense. I would send emails or call your representatives outlining the reasons this is damaging to an entire industry and the economy.

r3dbullxxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
If you think there is no corruption or stupidity in those areas or anywhere else for that matter you have blinders on.
aussieman57 aussieman57 I find you very intriguing, for the few posts I have read...and your perspective very interesting.
While I disagree on some things, have some contradictions to stats and info you post (not many and not worth debating) you point out many issues with detailed information and are knowledgeable and well-spoken. Honestly...I like to read what you have to say and it has made me backtrack and read more...which I think is a good quality...not like I need to tell you. This might be a tad jumpy, and not as well-written as your posts...but, I hope that it's good enough...

That being said, in some cases there seems to be a streak of blind defensiveness when it comes to the state, which often appears to contradict the lengthy amount of information you have recently provided which clearly shows and reinforces the opinions of others, even if they are less eloquent in their delivery, about the state. Some are accurate, some are not...but, it's interesting how you can post numerous posts detailing the shortcomings of the state, officials, companies, or whatever and then at the end say "don't throw stones at Florida" when you just catapulted a boulder (actually several) at Florida? I get that the perspective you have could possibly be "don't crap on Florida, crap on the people who are ruining Florida" to which I'd say Florida is exactly how the majority of Floridians want it to be. People voted for, blindly support, or paid off those in power and Florida got what Florida wanted...enough people are blind to the issues and don't get much past, "Move to Florida if you hate taxes, despise big government, love freedom & guns, and like warm weather/hate snow." So, when "the King or his cronies" get on "the news" (lol) and yap yap yap...this and that...then the normal people (who are naïve on the topic, to no fault of their own) blindly regurgitate that at nauseum and will support it and tell everyone they know the few buzzwords/sentences they hear on "the news" until you have an army of mis/uninformed people screaming for x/y/z.
Again, yes, I am aware of other places....but, Florida is the place & has the issue/topic of discussion ATM....and speaking of topics...

I'm not touching the prior gun-law posts, totally unrelated...but, when I posted my poorly worded posts regarding the military ground water seepage/damage for humans and animals, the pesticides and fertilizers ban limits, some red tide info, and got to the manatees deaths....you started your manatee post (which was great BTW) with the tone that people (me) was just throwing out another random topic trying to crap on Florida. Not the case.

In my mind, I'm not crapping on Florida...the people who have willingly/knowingly let it happen to the "last free state" that they "love and treasure oh so much" causing the decades long environmental decline of Florida, are the ones crapping on Florida.
The ones who the majority of people IN Florida, voted for and brag about to no end...some of it is changing...but, for now it is what it is.

Also, to me, the issues I tried to quickly tie together (poorly) in my previous posts all seem to go hand in hand in my brain for places I know... (Brevard County on the east and Captiva/Sanibel on the west) As a teacher with 20 years in...we would take quarterly trips until those trips stopped as the decline of wildlife/habit went up and the safety/health of the water went down.
It's clearly visible to anyone who's been here for a bit...Plus, being able to see the additional decline of things first-hand based on info and data after working with the groups/people I posted links to prior...my train of thought is the following:

I see anything to do with the water sources and quality of water and the poisons (whichever...any and all) can affect the local plants and animals....and since many of the native aquatic/marine species are fragile to such things and many of the invasives are obviously more hardy and able to tolerate them better and continue to increase their foothold and move northward would be a cause for greater concern amongst "normal" people (those who just listen to "the King" and "the news") and when the WHITELIST comes up...there's huge support for it from many groups who are affected by the invasives and who cry foul...and as we all know when it's time for re-election...that's when these things come back into play...gun laws, banning books, attacking Disney, etc. WHITELIST, etc. Our "king" is so great...he did x/y/z...that's how it works (everywhere) right? Reminds me of the whole nonsense regarding Pit Bulls...but, that's another issue for another time...

Soooo....I get the defending of Florida because a lot of people here are good people and the state is beautiful and has a lot to offer (if it isn't destroyed)....and maybe I don't understand...maybe I don't need to....but, I wanted to ask, point out, clarify, whatever because I can...ya know....freesom and all...at least for now...or until "the king" bans it like TikTok...and all that. ;)
Just playin'...cheers.

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
aussieman57 aussieman57 I find you very intriguing, for the few posts I have read...and your perspective very interesting.
While I disagree on some things, have some contradictions to stats and info you post (not many and not worth debating) you point out many issues with detailed information and are knowledgeable and well-spoken. Honestly...I like to read what you have to say and it has made me backtrack and read more...which I think is a good quality...not like I need to tell you. This might be a tad jumpy, and not as well-written as your posts...but, I hope that it's good enough...

That being said, in some cases there seems to be a streak of blind defensiveness when it comes to the state, which often appears to contradict the lengthy amount of information you have recently provided which clearly shows and reinforces the opinions of others, even if they are less eloquent in their delivery, about the state. Some are accurate, some are not...but, it's interesting how you can post numerous posts detailing the shortcomings of the state, officials, companies, or whatever and then at the end say "don't throw stones at Florida" when you just catapulted a boulder (actually several) at Florida? I get that the perspective you have could possibly be "don't crap on Florida, crap on the people who are ruining Florida" to which I'd say Florida is exactly how the majority of Floridians want it to be. People voted for, blindly support, or paid off those in power and Florida got what Florida wanted...enough people are blind to the issues and don't get much past, "Move to Florida if you hate taxes, despise big government, love freedom & guns, and like warm weather/hate snow." So, when "the King or his cronies" get on "the news" (lol) and yap yap yap...this and that...then the normal people (who are naïve on the topic, to no fault of their own) blindly regurgitate that at nauseum and will support it and tell everyone they know the few buzzwords/sentences they hear on "the news" until you have an army of mis/uninformed people screaming for x/y/z.
Again, yes, I am aware of other places....but, Florida is the place & has the issue/topic of discussion ATM....and speaking of topics...

I'm not touching the prior gun-law posts, totally unrelated...but, when I posted my poorly worded posts regarding the military ground water seepage/damage for humans and animals, the pesticides and fertilizers ban limits, some red tide info, and got to the manatees deaths....you started your manatee post (which was great BTW) with the tone that people (me) was just throwing out another random topic trying to crap on Florida. Not the case.

In my mind, I'm not crapping on Florida...the people who have willingly/knowingly let it happen to the "last free state" that they "love and treasure oh so much" causing the decades long environmental decline of Florida, are the ones crapping on Florida.
The ones who the majority of people IN Florida, voted for and brag about to no end...some of it is changing...but, for now it is what it is.

Also, to me, the issues I tried to quickly tie together (poorly) in my previous posts all seem to go hand in hand in my brain for places I know... (Brevard County on the east and Captiva/Sanibel on the west) As a teacher with 20 years in...we would take quarterly trips until those trips stopped as the decline of wildlife/habit went up and the safety/health of the water went down.
It's clearly visible to anyone who's been here for a bit...Plus, being able to see the additional decline of things first-hand based on info and data after working with the groups/people I posted links to prior...my train of thought is the following:

I see anything to do with the water sources and quality of water and the poisons (whichever...any and all) can affect the local plants and animals....and since many of the native aquatic/marine species are fragile to such things and many of the invasives are obviously more hardy and able to tolerate them better and continue to increase their foothold and move northward would be a cause for greater concern amongst "normal" people (those who just listen to "the King" and "the news") and when the WHITELIST comes up...there's huge support for it from many groups who are affected by the invasives and who cry foul...and as we all know when it's time for re-election...that's when these things come back into play...gun laws, banning books, attacking Disney, etc. WHITELIST, etc. Our "king" is so great...he did x/y/z...that's how it works (everywhere) right? Reminds me of the whole nonsense regarding Pit Bulls...but, that's another issue for another time...

Soooo....I get the defending of Florida because a lot of people here are good people and the state is beautiful and has a lot to offer (if it isn't destroyed)....and maybe I don't understand...maybe I don't need to....but, I wanted to ask, point out, clarify, whatever because I can...ya know....freesom and all...at least for now...or until "the king" bans it like TikTok...and all that. ;)
Just playin'...cheers.
No worries. I've been a little short on sleep due to taking care of 2 dogs with gastroenteritis. I would like to get more info on the military ground water issue. Was aware of the NC Camp Lejeune fiasco; I was there training for several months and had my fill of the water that tasted like diesel fuel. As for re-elections who the heck do you vote for anymore these days? There is no common sense. It's far right or left wing nutjobs.

r3dbullxxx

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
No worries. I've been a little short on sleep due to taking care of 2 dogs with gastroenteritis. I would like to get more info on the military ground water issue. Was aware of the NC Camp Lejeune fiasco; I was there training for several months and had my fill of the water that tasted like diesel fuel. As for re-elections who the heck do you vote for anymore these days? There is no common sense. It's far right or left wing nutjobs.
aussieman57 aussieman57 Tidbit for you: How many NASA employees have been diagnosed with Parkinson's with TCE levels of 300,000 ppb being detected in groundwater out there?
🧐
The EPA considers less than 5 parts per billion to be safe for drinking water. Interesting study on Camp Lejeune Veterans.

Question Is Parkinson disease risk increased in military service members who were stationed at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, during 1975-1985 when the water supply was contaminated with trichloroethylene and other volatile organic compounds?

Findings This cohort study of 340,489 service members found that the risk of Parkinson disease was 70% higher in Camp Lejeune veterans compared with veterans stationed at a Marine Corps base where water was not contaminated. In veterans without Parkinson disease, risk was also significantly higher for several prodromal features of Parkinson disease. Water supplies at Camp Lejeune were contaminated with several VOCs. Levels were highest for TCE, with monthly median values greater than 70-fold the permissible amount. Camp Lejeune veterans had a 70% higher risk of PD (odds ratio, 1.70; 95% CI, 1.39-2.07; P < .001). No excess risk was found for other forms of neurodegenerative parkinsonism. Camp Lejeune veterans also had a significantly increased risk of prodromal PD diagnoses, including tremor, anxiety, and erectile dysfunction, and higher cumulative prodromal risk scores. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2805182

aussieman57

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2021
Yeah we used TCE as a degreaser. My guess would be NASA utilized it also to degrease machined parts. Stuff leaches through protective gloves, feels cold and dries out your hands.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Actually that wasn't the case a few months ago in Florida.

In the most recent election, the alternative to the guy whose administration is behind this white list aquarium fish and reptiles (and other examples of vast government overreach like banning books, dictating school curricula, targeting specific corporations and other nonsense) was a 66-year-old former Republican Governor and Member of Congress...who ran as a moderate Democrat. Hardly a nut job...

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store