Floating plants

jabsthetank

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
California
The blue bulb will be of no use. Blue is only good for coral tanks. If you really want to get duckweed or frogbit just get a sponge for your intake. I really wanna try the pothos and I think the roots will be great cover.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Seahorse8383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Norfolk, Va
It is a 125 gallon and the lights are very bright and the get hot it keeps my water at 78 degrees and the heaters never gets a chance to turn on. Will the hyacinth or Anacharis also glog the filters?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Pothos all day

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Pothos, Arrowhead, peace lily, ivy have all worked for me in the past. You can either use em in a hob or like I did build some eggcrate baskets to keep them in along the back of the tank.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Pothos is not an Ivy. It's an aroid - completely different family.
Pothos aka 'Epipremnum aureum' NOT ' Philodendron' is a very misunderstood plant! Anything that grows vines, climbs and spreads is usually considered "ivy," and that's why its often referred too as: golden ivy, devils ivy, marble ivy, ivy arum, devils claw ivy, etc. Thus my reference to Pothos Ivy!

Then there's the differences in variegation with the leaf & stem, multiply this with hybrids & clones divided by Juvenile-adult leaves you get a very frustrating ID to your plant, not to mention in the wild a sexually mature female POTHOS plant can be pollinated via insect to make berries which have seeds!uploadfromtaptalk1393561000715.jpg

In fact pothos is tropical plant that in the wild grows leaves of 3'+ but obviously in our tanks this is much less and the true capacity/beauty of this plant is never reached uploadfromtaptalk1393561046758.jpg although that does NOT hinder its capability to reduce nitrates and purify the air! The Aroid family has more then 3300 different species ATM.

In landscaping we often use ivy as 'ground cover' for beds, outlining and even purposely grow them on building faces or columns (which is ridiculously annoying when a year later we have to trim half of it down, and the roots literally grow into building!) Ivy is incredibly hearty and easily survives winters to become a nuisance, Pothos can not tolerate temps below 55°F or lower!

NASA also rated golden 'ivy'/Pothos w/e you want to call it as one of the top 3 plants to reduce indoor air pollutants!

Easier to go the traditional route when referring to Pothos due to the fact it is still listed as some type of 'IVY' in many retail settings! Thus its just as important to note this plant as golden ivy/devils ivy as it is pothos (in America) I've also seen philodendron sold as pothos!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title×

Pbaff

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
SW Missouri
I don't like duckweed for a floater. I think amazon frogbit is much better overall. They have longer roots and get large enough that they don't usually get sucked into a filter intake.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Fluvia natans is a great floating plant... it spreads really easily and quickly and is really really hardy...not sure of common name though, sorry...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store