Floating wood

RedDwarf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Where the Sun is Warm
It looks to be grape wood, it will sink eventually but will take a long time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The 4ft piece of wood, placed on an angle in the pic below, has been in this 150 gal tank for almost 2 years. As you can see I wedged 2 flat stones into it (the 2 light colored ones), if I remove them from the wood, it still floats.
Certain woods like mopani or iron wood with sink almost immediately because of their density, other woods are very buoyant, and basically never sink without a heavy weight to hold them down.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
It looks to be grape wood, it will sink eventually but will take a long time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Are you talkung about the wood in my tank? I know it was a wash up from Mo river.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I went out and bought a different bit of wood, now its floating haha. I hate adding wood at the start.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Wood density (relative to water) determines whether it will sink or not. Some wood is naturally more dense than other woods, iirc, by factors of 10-20+ times. In addition, live wood contains liquid in many of it's cells, while dead wood contains a lot more air in it's cells. As wood sits underwater for a long time, water fills the cells and makes the wood item more dense, and more likely to sink.

Drilling holes in the wood will not work but submerging the wood under water for long periods of time will work as water pressure will slowly force air out of the wood and replace it with water. However, extremely light wood (which starts at a naturally low density) just might never sink in water unless accompanied by weights.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
The new bit I bought, which currently has half a clay pot weighing one end down lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1405719181073.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405719191399.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store