MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Ie it's a strike response.. if you fish you'll understand that term... They just react. anything silver can and will be a target.. IF the gar gets triggered... it's hard to say what will happen.. but the knife may just kill your gar once it realizes the gar won't fight back.... gar are not "aggressive" the way cichlids are... they are pure predetors. cichlids are just bossy jerks. Long-term I doubt it will work. short-term imo it's a ticking time bomb.

yngggru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2013
Philippines
Ie it's a strike response.. if you fish you'll understand that term... They just react. anything silver can and will be a target.. IF the gar gets triggered... it's hard to say what will happen.. but the knife may just kill your gar once it realizes the gar won't fight back.... gar are not "aggressive" the way cichlids are... they are pure predetors. cichlids are just bossy jerks. Long-term I doubt it will work. short-term imo it's a ticking time bomb.
+1 the expert has spoken :D

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Ok... Thanks... If something hapoens i can give it to my lfs they will get it a good home in theyre display tank...

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
mine minds his own busness. i have a few really small bluegill in my tank like 2" or so and my 15" gar dont bother them none. i agree that it may be up to fish personality. the two that i have had wont waste there energy on somthing that they cant eat. And it makes perfect sense from a predatory survival pov.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
I think it would be ok.... I have no clue why i just have that weird "feeling" that it would work out... My barbs are already VERY wary of other fish because they are constantly dodging my clown knife... I figure if they can survive a CK a gar is nuthing lol!

crappiekeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
The land of the pine
He pretty much just summed up what I was trying to say. He just worded it better.:D

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I think it would be ok.... I have no clue why i just have that weird "feeling" that it would work out... My barbs are already VERY wary of other fish because they are constantly dodging my clown knife... I figure if they can survive a CK a gar is nuthing lol!

Yep! some people on here have no issues comming their gar with other fish I have had zero luck with... silver arrowana ( my florida trying to flay him one afternoon) CK's ( my ck started beating up on all my gar, took me a few days to figure it out as he did it at night) ... all depends on the fish.

watch for shredded fins and scales stripped their teeth look like a cheese grater attacked... thats a good clue on your barbs if its the gar obviously other then witnessing it.

EJKC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2007
Colorado
Agreed. When my fl was 10" he took chunks outta silver dollars I have. I didn't know why till I looked into it a bit. Silver + Predator= No.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store