Florida or Spotted ???? (9inches 23,5cm)

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
plausible;953463; said:
lol i see... someone posted that on another site when i asked to id mine =X
so im getting the wrong info :screwy:
i know i used to follow that rule and have posted it somewhere on here. i dont recall what thread it was though. fortunately i was corrected and now know that it is not accurate.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
me_wee_todded;953643; said:
Ok.
So it may be slightly possible that this fish in question could be from said farms,and could be in fact a hybrid?
Yes it very well could..

There is no way to positively verify however without genetic analysis. Unlike the rather obvious 'croc' gars and 'Medium-noses' (Shortnose X Longnose) there are no clear external differences. General proportions tend to be intermediate in Nature and these proportions fall in range of natural variation for both the spotted and Florida..

As said.. there is no clear information about this presumed hybrid and what is known is based on anecdotal evidence and observation of fish within the hobby. There is also the presumed natural hybrids that exist in the Northern and western part of the natural range of Lepisosteus platyrhincus where it overlaps with L. oculatus. ID technique and verification of this hybrid is still a work in progress by a few of us Gar nuts working in the academic field..

piraiba

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2007
USA
The more I read about this the more uncertain I become about what type of gar I actually have. lol:nilly:

aimaniac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2012
Malaysia
To me there is a slight difference between a spotted and a florida gar. It all depends on their spots on the body. Spotted gars are mainly just random spots on their body, hence the name, whereas florida gars have a somewhat different spot patterns on their sides and on the top of the body.

This is a pic of my spotted gar:

IMG_20140322_063253.jpg

Whereas in comparison with a florida gar:

gar-wallpapers-8.jpg

Other than that, mainly in my opinion they're quite the same in size, smaller than an alligator gar.

IMG_20140322_063253.jpg

gar-wallpapers-8.jpg

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
To me there is a slight difference between a spotted and a florida gar. It all depends on their spots on the body. Spotted gars are mainly just random spots on their body, hence the name, whereas florida gars have a somewhat different spot patterns on their sides and on the top of the body.

This is a pic of my spotted gar:

View attachment 999476

Whereas in comparison with a florida gar:

View attachment 999477

Other than that, mainly in my opinion they're quite the same in size, smaller than an alligator gar.
both pic are Florida gar, Necromancer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store