Florida Soft Shell Turtle Care

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Had the opportunity to pick up a 4" soft shell yesterday which I've been wanting ever since I watched the cartoon Gumball. In memory of the greatest kid show geared towards adult jokes I even named the little guy E.T. (Evil Turtle). He's now in a 40g breeder with some pieces of wood to bask on with a UVB bulb and 80degree water w/ an in tank filter. I've read all the care guides I could find on google but as it so often happens, those guides arent always very accurate. So I just wanted to ask the community to give me all the care advice from adult tank size, growth rate, etc. to diet and maintenance regarding his health. Much appreciated!

evil turtle.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Had the opportunity to pick up a 4" soft shell yesterday which I've been wanting ever since I watched the cartoon Gumball. In memory of the greatest kid show geared towards adult jokes I even named the little guy E.T. (Evil Turtle). He's now in a 40g breeder with some pieces of wood to bask on with a UVB bulb and 80degree water w/ an in tank filter. I've read all the care guides I could find on google but as it so often happens, those guides arent always very accurate. So I just wanted to ask the community to give me all the care advice from adult tank size, growth rate, etc. to diet and maintenance regarding his health. Much appreciated!

View attachment 1421436
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/leo-the-fst.711110/
MrsE88 MrsE88

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Reactions: MrsE88 and tlindsey

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
If you have a female - It’s going to get HUGE. Full spectrum lighting at basking spot, sand for substrate. Really a very difficult turtle to keep because they are very skittish and very sensitive to water quality issues. Very cool though! Good luck
i can only hope then haha! Can't wait. Im hoping one day I see it poking its head over the edge of the enclosure staring at me lol

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
i can only hope then haha! Can't wait. Im hoping one day I see it poking its head over the edge of the enclosure staring at me lol
Ime with reptiles of all kinds they always seem to give ya the evil eye from across the room regardless of what ya did or did not do. Lol reptiles can be some of the most judgemental animals out there.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hey:) I would love to see a picture of your guy!
As mentioned if you have a female it will get very big. Males stay a bit smaller.
I can’t speak to adult size yet, mine is still a baby. I haven’t measured him in a while, but I’d say he’s right around the 4” mark.
A more recent picture of him.
CC302318-F915-42A2-805D-DBFD3E15BD8C.jpeg
I’m learning as I go, but if you have specific questions I’d be happy to try and answer them:)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ime with reptiles of all kinds they always seem to give ya the evil eye from across the room regardless of what ya did or did not do. Lol reptiles can be some of the most judgemental animals out there.
Can confirm.

Good luck with the turtle!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Try that with the added intelligence that some of the monitor lizard possess. My ex couldn't handle it we had to get rid of the Argus. She was pretty sure she would die in some horrible mouse trap type set up the Argus had devised while he sat there eagerly watching rubbing his hands together and nodding. Should have kept the lizard.....

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Try that with the added intelligence that some of the monitor lizard possess. My ex couldn't handle it we had to get rid of the Argus. She was pretty sure she would die in some horrible mouse trap type set up the Argus had devised while he sat there eagerly watching rubbing his hands together and nodding. Should have kept the lizard.....
Oh believe me I know, I had an Asian Water Monitor and Savannah Monitor for a few years when i first moved out. Those things are always glaring, and if you get close enough, hissing. The savannah eventually got very friendly but the water monitor always despised me being no matter what haha

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store