Flower Ray issue... AGAIN

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Right now I am going to hold on getting any other rays.

IF I do get any more rays in the near future, it will more than likely be a leo/henlei from a buddy of mine. I have seen these guys in person, I've seen them eat, and I know they are well taken care of.. Yes, it's a lot of cash, but they are just more expensive motoros IMO- as I have heard they are easy to acclimate, and most eat anything.

But, we will see. For now, I want to focus on getting my set up ready for a breeding program to make SRT! :)

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Sorry to hear about your loss. You certainly did all you could - it wasn't from lack of effort or TLC.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
It's kinda when I bought a tig, and it died 24 hours later.. paid $300 for it, and also drove 3 hours for it. (after I informed the seller it died, he goes "yeah, I figured it would die right after.")

I was so worried about keeping it alive, and making sure that I could care for it.. I was actually more relieved when it did pass.

It's not about money to me.. I mean, yeah.. I just lost $200.. but, I enjoy the hobby, and it's not going to stop me from keeping fish.

Now, if something drastic happened, I may take a break, but I will never stop being into the hobby.

Speaking of dead fish, I just had to euthanize my large white goldfish that I rescued last summer from a 30 gallon turtle tank. Poor guy was just laying on the bottom of the koi tank breathing like crazy. But it happens, and it's all part of having living things.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
There are only three kinds of ray keepers, one that has had a ray die for no reason, one that has killed a ray, or one that has been lucky to have had neither but their time is coming! It happens, my first ray death was a completely healthy castexi female of about 9" She did not have a mark on her very active and thick. I came home one day and she was dead. No reason why as far as I know. Atleast you know why yours died, the mystery death is the hardest to deal with in my opinion. Dug old thread up from almost 3 years ago

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?183065-WTF!-How-does-this-happen&highlight=

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
4 kinds. One that has been sold a ray that was extremely close to death and couldn't do anything abou it.
Yepp.. we have both been in these shoes unfortunately.

Ajno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2008
Tri Cities WA
Dang sorry for your loss! I followed this thread and was rooting for you. You did everything you could. If I needed someone to care for my fish, you would be on the top of my list. That ray was long gone before you even got him. Kinda sucks that people sell rays in this condition knowing that they are probably not going to make it. Keep your head up because you are awesome!

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thanks man! I appreciate it.

I kinda should have known that it was going to happen, because in the 240 I have a 14"+ Ven Pike, who is very calm and peaceful, but yesterday he was being very nippy to the dats, and just freaking out.. then after the ray passed and was taken out, he went back to his old self. Remember, the ray was still on the divided side of the tank.

Who knows what the future holds yet as far as another ray goes.. I gotta focus on the outdoor pond for the koi, and then the 1500 that they are in now is either going to be modified for the rays, or it's going to be torn down, and a different tank will be made for the rays. So that's the next plan. But, it's not going to be me building it. :D I tell my fiance what would be a "great idea", which is ultimately what I want.. and he builds it! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store