FlowerHearts

fISHyPriorities

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Los Angeles CA
whats up everyone, its been a while since i've visited mfk and i forgot how great this site is and i think i'll be stopping by more often to check in. anyway while on a quest traveling near and far to find a large bottle of coppersafe which my nearest lfs was out of i found myself in alhambra (CA) at a shop that had about what looked to be 20+ of these little guys

they were 1 to 2" mixed and sad thing was every one we saw was showing very good coloring and or beautiful pearling for such small fish, there was no info on the tank as to what they were or how much. a young gentleman working at the shop told us they were flowerhorns and they are $18 each. after i pulled my phone out and snapped these shots the owner (i assume) walked over and asked " can i help you, would you like to buy one of these" and so i said " there really cool im thinking about it" i asked once more what are they he replied "they are flowerhorns"... i said really i saw flowerhorns in another shop today and they had tails? he said these are flowerHEARTS they are rare and you will not see fish like this very often, they breed these fish to be tailless to give them that heart shape. uh huh very interesting i said. told him i was gonna think about it. anyway im not gonna give the name of the shop cause well the point here is more to remind folks and let the newbies know not to purchase fish like this cause there not really genetically bread to be tailless the tails were cut off or ripped out. BTW this guy was totally coocoo, not only does he believe people are breeding tailless FH he was going to charge me 24.95 for the 16oz bottle of coppersafe :ROFL:

alleykat0498

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Central Virginia
Thats IT! I too had a bad experience today with my only reputable lfs. during my first visit to this so called "best place around" I found a 24"+ silver aro in a 75 gallon tank:nilly: and they wouldnt sell me the fish. "we have had that fish so long we wont let him go". I'm to the point now that I will only buy fish from a private seller or bite the bullet and pay for shipping from a reputable online store.

CrazyCichlids

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Manahawkin, NJ
It is so sick to think how far people go to try and do something new that they would do this to another living creature.......I breed flowerhorns, and they are a wild mixed hybrid to begin with, but to physically put your hands on a creature to alter it is soooo wrong.......If you must have "the newest most different" form of fish try doing a cross between two fish naturally.......at least that way you have created new life not altered it in the way of a psychotic surgeon!

fISHyPriorities

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Los Angeles CA
xiahaolong168;2336751; said:
wow that is really harsh. and i get coppersafe for 8 bucks!

yer lucky, i usually get it (the 16oz bottle) for 16 17 bucks, cheapst was $13 from an online supplier. 8 bucks is a awsome deal thats how much i see the small bottle going for at petsmart
i need to do some more shopping around

iheartfishies

Im Angie
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Northern VA
vvvp.dynu.com
I'm not saying what they did to the fishies was okay...
so...I may be going to hell, but I still would have bought one.
They're just so uber cute.
Makes me miss my POTO.:(

twk1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2005
Home
I think its waaaay Cruel... and i personally don't like the way they look without tails, regardless if its Flowerhearts or Love parrots... They look better with tails!!

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
Cutting them aside I just prefer fish with tails.. at least flowerhorns..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store