Flowerhorn identification and query

pet_aquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2021
Hi there! I've recently bought a flowerhorn a week ago. Love the little guy however I am slightly concerned by his big belly. I've kept flowerhorns and other cichlids in the past and usually their bellies ain't that "bloated" looking. Tried a 3 day fast and the belly more or less looked the same. I'm starting to believe its a distended gut due to poor breeding practices. Would love to hear your thoughts about it. Furthermore, I would like to get a second opinion on its "breed". I believe its an SRD ZZ however the lack of underbite and blue pearlings across his body indicate otherwise?

Tank wise its housed in a 3 by 1.5 by 1.5 ft tank (around 50 gallons) and its filtered by 4 large sponge filters stacked on top of one another along with a fluval C3 HOB. Temperature wise its kept around 28-30 degrees celsius (not heated as I live in a tropical country).

Food wise its fed exclusively Hikari Cichlid Bio-gold+ mini pellets, around 5 pellets a feeding, 3 times a day. (Is this too much food?).

To cut to the chase, 1) Is the distended belly signs of bloat or genetics? , 2) what strain of flowerhorn is this?, 3) Am i feeding too much/little?, 4)Any way I can improve? Always happen to learn more about this hobby! ^v^

Thanks for reading and happy fishkeeping!

photo_2022-12-06_19-56-51 (2).jpg

photo_2022-12-06_19-56-51 (3).jpg

photo_2022-12-06_19-56-51.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Hi there! I've recently bought a flowerhorn a week ago. Love the little guy however I am slightly concerned by his big belly. I've kept flowerhorns and other cichlids in the past and usually their bellies ain't that "bloated" looking. Tried a 3 day fast and the belly more or less looked the same. I'm starting to believe its a distended gut due to poor breeding practices. Would love to hear your thoughts about it. Furthermore, I would like to get a second opinion on its "breed". I believe its an SRD ZZ however the lack of underbite and blue pearlings across his body indicate otherwise?

Tank wise its housed in a 3 by 1.5 by 1.5 ft tank (around 50 gallons) and its filtered by 4 large sponge filters stacked on top of one another along with a fluval C3 HOB. Temperature wise its kept around 28-30 degrees celsius (not heated as I live in a tropical country).

Food wise its fed exclusively Hikari Cichlid Bio-gold+ mini pellets, around 5 pellets a feeding, 3 times a day. (Is this too much food?).

To cut to the chase, 1) Is the distended belly signs of bloat or genetics? , 2) what strain of flowerhorn is this?, 3) Am i feeding too much/little?, 4)Any way I can improve? Always happen to learn more about this hobby! ^v^

Thanks for reading and happy fishkeeping!

View attachment 1508232

View attachment 1508233

View attachment 1508234
I would say you’re right to call this SRD, was his belly large like this when you got him? If not then I’d say bloat also especially if it’s stayed that big after 3 days fast

pet_aquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2021
I would say you’re right to call this SRD, was his belly large like this when you got him? If not then I’d say bloat also especially if it’s stayed that big after 3 days fast
Yes, his belly was large when i bought him from the store. Do bloated flowerhorns eat and swim normally? He seems perfectly fine in the tank swimming vigorously and has an eats well. His poops are normal (not stringy,white,long) thus I'm more inclined to believe he's just got a big gut due to genetics. Should I feed him a little less for the time being? (Currently he's around 4 inches from the tip of the mouth to tail)

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Yes, his belly was large when i bought him from the store. Do bloated flowerhorns eat and swim normally? He seems perfectly fine in the tank swimming vigorously and has an eats well. His poops are normal (not stringy,white,long) thus I'm more inclined to believe he's just got a big gut due to genetics. Should I feed him a little less for the time being? (Currently he's around 4 inches from the tip of the mouth to tail)
Yea I’d feed half as much for a while and see if there’s any difference but if it gets any worse update immediately, sounds like genetics to me but it can be tough to be sure with a fish like a flowerhorn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store