Flowerhorn in a community tank

swervo513

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2010
Brooklyn Ny
Hey everyone,

I have a 180 gallon community tank with large cichlids and an arowana. Will my fish be ok with a smaller flowerhorn? I am not sure what grade the flowerhorn is but it seems like a decent specimen. It has a nice size hump for its size, a nice red head and strong markings. Will post a picture and video shortly so check back when you get a chance.

Larry

PS: My stock list is in my sig.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
IMO, flowerhorns do not reach their full potential in a community tank. That is, their colors do not truely shine and their muchal humps do not reach their maximum size. If they become the alpha in the tank, they look decent, but can look better on their own. If they turn out not to be dominant, they go into hiding and color is becomes dark.

As far as size goes, if it's not too small, it can fend for itself by hiding. When it becomes big enough, watch out!

swervo513

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2010
Brooklyn Ny
I think your right. He already challenged a larger green terror. He's gunna be trouble. Might have to take a loss on this one

marv1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2012
LONG BEACH
Hey everyone,

I have a 180 gallon community tank with large cichlids and an arowana. Will my fish be ok with a smaller flowerhorn? I am not sure what grade the flowerhorn is but it seems like a decent specimen. It has a nice size hump for its size, a nice red head and strong markings. Will post a picture and video shortly so check back when you get a chance.

Larry

PS: My stock list is in my sig.
I have the same stock I got a 5" Thai silk and red dragon and they seem fine.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store