Flowerhorn Laid Eggs!?!

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
Took my first pair 4 tries before they finally got it right. I had another pair, Flowerhorn x Red Texas, going for a bit but they sadly never got it right and the male killed the female in the end. Currently trying with my oldest female FH with the male Red Texas but he's locked up in a minnow trap to prevent him from killing her.

Lol not gonna risk lossing my 5 year old dwarf FH that I helped bring into existence, I'd rather go out and trade the male out for a different one before I lose my girl.
btw what filter do you use while their are eggs in your tank because I think my water pump sucked the eggs because the female decided to lay its eggs near them, should I just switch to spongefilter/ airpump? Thanks in advance

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
btw what filter do you use while their are eggs in your tank because I think my water pump sucked the eggs because the female decided to lay its eggs near them, should I just switch to spongefilter/ airpump? Thanks in advance
I would recommend either doing a sponge filter setup or just add some filter gloss to the intake of your sump. I generally do the filter gloss method just so I don't have to rearrange my setup, granted I use hang on the back filters so might be a lil different for a sump. But if it all works it should prevent the babies from getting eaten by the filter without having to change filtration entirely.

Last time I tried to use an egg tumbler but the male didn't do his part sadly so they were all duds.

Reactions: FrancisFloe

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Oh damn that's alot of risky business. It's so interesting that you can hybridize flowerhorn with other cichlids!
Generally they have to be at least somewhat closely related to begin with in order to hybridize. Most SA cichlids can hybridize with each other and same with African cichlids but not from across the continents as far as ik. Some CA cichlids can hybridize with SA cichlids but I think that's just because there's less of a distance barrier.

I do at least know tho that FH's can hybridize with Texas cichlids and a Red Texas is just a hybrid of it's own between a Regular Texas and either a Rose Queen, Red Devil/Midas, Blood Parrot or a FlowerHorn. That and Blood parrots and Rose Queens are hybrids in they're own too.

Lol sometimes it still blows my mind how diverse Hybrids have become. Granted most don't end up looking good, takes years to make hybrids like FH's a thing.

• Wow

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
I would recommend either doing a sponge filter setup or just add some filter gloss to the intake of your sump. I generally do the filter gloss method just so I don't have to rearrange my setup, granted I use hang on the back filters so might be a lil different for a sump. But if it all works it should prevent the babies from getting eaten by the filter without having to change filtration entirely.

Last time I tried to use an egg tumbler but the male didn't do his part sadly so they were all duds.
Noted, I had already set up a new tank for them with sponge filter cause I think it might be the safest setup and also easiest to maintain.
Generally they have to be at least somewhat closely related to begin with in order to hybridize. Most SA cichlids can hybridize with each other and same with African cichlids but not from across the continents as far as ik. Some CA cichlids can hybridize with SA cichlids but I think that's just because there's less of a distance barrier.

I do at least know tho that FH's can hybridize with Texas cichlids and a Red Texas is just a hybrid of it's own between a Regular Texas and either a Rose Queen, Red Devil/Midas, Blood Parrot or a FlowerHorn. That and Blood parrots and Rose Queens are hybrids in they're own too.

Lol sometimes it still blows my mind how diverse Hybrids have become. Granted most don't end up looking good, takes years to make hybrids like FH's a thing.
For real tho Im not a big fan of hybrid cichlids and most cichlids in general, they're so diverse and their lineages, species is so confusing. That's why I mostly stay clear of buying cichlids except angels and oscars, the more common ones, technically they are also SA cichlids so maybe they can hybridize with other species? But recently I just got a pair of polar blue convicts lol.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Noted, I had already set up a new tank for them with sponge filter cause I think it might be the safest setup and also easiest to maintain.

For real tho Im not a big fan of hybrid cichlids and most cichlids in general, they're so diverse and their lineages, species is so confusing. That's why I mostly stay clear of buying cichlids except angels and oscars, the more common ones, technically they are also SA cichlids so maybe they can hybridize with other species? But recently I just got a pair of polar blue convicts lol.
Haven't seen any true Angel or Oscar hybrids at least not yet. And I will warn ya that convict cichlids are some nasty, mean lil fish. They are what I would call the Chihuahua of the fish world, small and bite sized but absolutely psychotic lil demons lol. I just hope ya got them in their own tank so they don't go on a murdering spree.

FrancisFloe

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2023
Philippines
Haven't seen any true Angel or Oscar hybrids at least not yet. And I will warn ya that convict cichlids are some nasty, mean lil fish. They are what I would call the Chihuahua of the fish world, small and bite sized but absolutely psychotic lil demons lol. I just hope ya got them in their own tank so they don't go on a murdering spree.
Bruhhh I placed them in my community tank of peaceful fish, my lfs labeled it "dwarf" and currently theyre around 1-2 cm, they seem to just be chilling around and not bothering no one but I'll definitely keep this in mind and probably move them soon, Thanks!

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Bruhhh I placed them in my community tank of peaceful fish, my lfs labeled it "dwarf" and currently theyre around 1-2 cm, they seem to just be chilling around and not bothering no one but I'll definitely keep this in mind and probably move them soon, Thanks!
They mostly get aggressive when spawning. Btw they'll still get to be the size of a golfball. I did notice that they seem to be a bit calmer around smaller species of fish, Not Other Cichlids, so tetras and barbs and the likes should be fine given enough swimming space/hideouts.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017

You may be a bit confused. Flowerhorns and the other hybrids commonly sold are hybrids of central American species. Other species of angel are too hard to get for people to be crossbreeding them regularly, but altum scalare hybrids do exist. You're not buying them from PetSmart or whatever though. All the line bred angels are just pure scalare. Oscars you're definitely not buying hybrids either. I don't think there's ever been oscar hybrids. As for them breeding with species outside their genera, oscars are too far removed from other things to breed outside of their genus, however angels, discus, mesonauta, true parrots, chocolate cichlids, and severums are in therapsini with the rest of central American cichlids, and there have been successful green terror/convict hybrids (green terrors being acaras/part of cichlasomatini, which is just outside of therapsini) so TECHNICALLY it should be possible... I think their behaviors and breeding habits are too different for them to want to hybridize though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store