Flowerhorn lips swollen

Psuedofire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Minnesota
You sound a little hurt that I would question your theory you pulled off from a forum. This may have some weight to it, but I don't see any proof except one post on a forum that tries to relate it to mouth rot. I know you like to sound like an "expert" here, but a lot of the things you said originate from google searches where there were many other theories. Find me a published paper that says these two diseases are related or show me some of the work you have done yourself, (not pulled from google or a forum) and I will believe you. And yes I did read the links, I am not denying the article is right, NaCL has evidence to have some effect on Flexibacter columnaris, but it could most likely have an effect on any other bacterial infections as well that you cant rule out as possible. You are aware that metro does kill most anaerobic gram positive and negative bacteria as well right?
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2856973

Now I was trying to give this guy some advice on what worked for me and shed some light on the situation after CAM told him his fish was basically a goner. I know you were trying to do the same and have your opinions but next time don't try and denote someone else's experiences or try and prove them wrong by throwing up a page from an another forum.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Wow, who pizzed in your cornflakes today, Psuedofire?
FYI - I am a member of that FH site (as well as many others) and placed that info in a folder for a rainy day, a long time ago. What does that have to do with google? Also, at one time I was a mod on the largest cichlid forum on the WWW, in the illness, health & nutrition folder, and have probably seen & dealt with more cases of parasitic & bacterial infections than you will see in a lifetime. I spent several years volunteering my time helping thousands of hobbyists with sick and/or dieing fish.

Does that make me an expert, absolutely not, but I know enough to realize that Metro is a poor choice IF this is in fact caused by flexibacter bacteria. Metro also has very poor solubility in water, is most effective at higher temps (it was designed for internal anaerobic bacteria found in humans) it is light sensitive, and in aquariums it tends to dissipate out of solution within 6-8 hours. I didn't need to look that up on google, either.
Most bacteria strains found in the tropical fish trade do in fact thrive at higher temps, so no matter what strain of bacteria is the cause, I would still not advise higher temps. That wasn't a personal assault on you, or your experience with your fish, but many years of dealing with these types of disease.

Like yourself I was also just trying to assist the OP, no need to be hyper sensitive, or make this personal.

Cheers

Vincefh123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
California
haha just toss him into a saltwater tank for a week or two and it will go away, I have seen people keep fh in reef tank and they do fine but have to be put back in fresh water because they have no way to export excess salt, I'm not sure if this will work but funny Idea nonetheless

Water

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Houston
Vincefh123;4914439; said:
haha just toss him into a saltwater tank for a week or two and it will go away, I have seen people keep fh in reef tank and they do fine but have to be put back in fresh water because they have no way to export excess salt, I'm not sure if this will work but funny Idea nonetheless
A bad idea IMO :irked:

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
I get excellence results using API's Furan-2 (for gram-positive & gram-negative bacteria).

Over the past few years, I have had the "duck lips" symptom three times. In all three cases, I used Furan-2 and did not lose a single fish. The key is to catch it early and treat it immediately. I keep a couple boxes on hand just in case.

If you quarantine your new fish (highly recommended) it usually shows up within a week or two. Plus it is much cheaper to treat a small quarantine tank.

Vincefh123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
California
haha wasnt serious bro, wouldn't kill it though at least not for a couple months...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store