Flowerhorn not eating and losing colour

joejoe58

Feeder Fish
Apr 22, 2016
We have a Flowerhorn which is about 8 months old. We have a tank thats 2 feet by 1 foot with a filter.

He ate about 14 pellets each meal and had 3 meals a day. He was very close to us until we went on holiday for a week during which someone else took care of it.

About 2 days after we left he had stopped eating and doesnt eat anything anymore. He is losing colour as well. I have attached a pic of the way he was before we left and how he is now.

We have tried everything we know.

1/ We did a full water clean

2/ Added 3 capsules of tetracycline

3/ After 3 days did a full water clean.

4/ Added black water and Internal Bacteria & Ulcer away medication

5/ Installed a heater to maintain the water temp at 30 c. He spends a lot of time next to heater.

6/ Bought different kinds of fish food.

None of the above works and he has not eaten for the past 8 days and now we are really worried. Please advice.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
Damn that is terrible news... I hope that fh gets well soon my friend. Definitely something wrong with the stomach area? It seems like it not getting enough oxygen..

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
what are your water parameters (ammonia and nitrite)? Also how cold did the tank get.
Also I am not a flowerhorn keeper but is that how they are supposed to looked with bulging stomach area?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
what are your water parameters (ammonia and nitrite)? Also how cold did the tank get.
Also I am not a flowerhorn keeper but is that how they are supposed to looked with bulging stomach area?
Thats perfectly normal many flowerhorn have that my males had that as well. Once they get bigger its more prominent its kind of like a second hump LOL

Stomach has nothing to do with this since I find it normal since my Male who looks awful like that had the same body figure.

Not sure what went wrong with the fish but check nitrates. Aerate the tank if you have an air pump. I would try not to dump medications not knowing what it is because that can harm the fish as well.

I would do clean water and salt. He can live weeks to months without food but its hard to say what went wrong.

Look at this flowerhorn bonsai same bulge. Many have it and I'm certain its not bloat.

Another pic

ANother pic

Reactions: Irish flowerhorn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store