Flowerhorns and vegetables

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Has anyone ever fed a flowerhorn a diet where there is more vegetables as opposed to protein? I'm interested in the heath effects of something like like this. This thread isn't meant to talk about pellet food btw, it's about actual fresh food or home made food.

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
I do feed a variety of pellets that have a higher veggie content. HOWEVER, since you asked about homemade foods yes I do make my own. I crab, clam, and fish. Its my favorite hobby. I take blue claw crab, steam it, then mash it with fresh steamed kelp that I get from the bay. My fish devour it!!!!

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
I do feed a variety of pellets that have a higher veggie content. HOWEVER, since you asked about homemade foods yes I do make my own. I crab, clam, and fish. Its my favorite hobby. I take blue claw crab, steam it, then mash it with fresh steamed kelp that I get from the bay. My fish devour it!!!!
I'm surprised that you can use wild caught animals, I honestly didn't know that Flowerhorns can handle that even when it is cooked. That's an interesting recipe and it seems pretty healthy, I actually am pretty interested in homemade food, because it seems that sometimes it can be as good or better than high quality pellets if well managed. I want to take up stuff like fishing but I don't have a lot of time to spend on fishing trips and stuff like that, but anyway thanks!

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I'm surprised that you can use wild caught animals, I honestly didn't know that Flowerhorns can handle that even when it is cooked. That's an interesting recipe and it seems pretty healthy, I actually am pretty interested in homemade food, because it seems that sometimes it can be as good or better than high quality pellets if well managed. I want to take up stuff like fishing but I don't have a lot of time to spend on fishing trips and stuff like that, but anyway thanks!
Lol honestly FH's will eat almost anything ya give em. Mine will eat almost any insect, pinkie mice, spring peeper frogs, baby Gartner snakes, fish, clams, shellfish, pretty much anything with protein in it. I noticed that with the snakes atleast they have a hard time digesting the skin so probably best to skin them first before feeding. P.s. even when the snake is skinned, beheaded, and gutted they will still wiggle around for a good half hour just on nerves alone. Mine never seemed to care much for plants at all except for algea wafers.

Reactions: Cichlids keeper

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I would advise not to make food with non aquatic veggies. It's hard to get different kinds of algae opposed to getting different kinds of aquatic meats to make food. That's why pellets usually work out better.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Why would you suggest to not use non-aquatic veggies?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Lol honestly FH's will eat almost anything ya give em.

Agreed. Unfortunately FH are also by & large genetic weaklings, with gastrointestinal systems that are prone to digestive issues, often leading to Spironucleus aka Hexamita. IMHO over the long haul ones best approach to meeting their nutritional needs is feeding them a high quality pellet. Not only is there no need to feed the various types of foods that you listed, I would personally never recommend it.

Cichlids keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2020
Massachusetts
Agreed. Unfortunately FH are also by & large genetic weaklings, with gastrointestinal systems that are prone to digestive issues, often leading to Spironucleus aka Hexamita. IMHO over the long haul ones best approach to meeting their nutritional needs is feeding them a high quality pellet. Not only is there no need to feed the various types of foods that you listed, I would personally never recommend it.
Do you know if FHs can eat duckweed or other aquatic plants? I know it's pretty good for goldfish and that a lot of them like it, so could it be a good thing to mix it in once in a while with a high quality pellet?

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
See following past comment ......

When collected fresh, approx. 90+% water content (a non-nutrient), high in carbs, ash, and fiber, the latter being what Duane was referring to. As far as actual nutrient content, including protein/fat/minerals etc, that would be dependent on the water they are grown out in, so that will obviously vary.

But I agree, all fish, even those that are classified as carnivorous, should be consuming some aquatic plant matter on a regular basis. I supplement mine with dry aquatic based commercial food, I would personally never introduce duckweed to a tank due to the mess it can make if not kept under control. That, and the nutrient levels are a lot higher when aquatic plant matter is fed on a dry matter basis, vs fresh.

For reference:

Reactions: Ruturaj
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store