Fluidized bed filter,good on ray tanks?

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Aquarium fluidized bed filters are supplemental filters that can make a great addition to a large, heavily stocked aquarium. By "fluidizing" or suspending fine grained media in a column of water, they increase surface area and contact time for highly efficient biological filtration (copy\past from http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium-fluidized-bed-filters.html )

All of the discus guys i know about here in norway swear their hearts to these filters, as they are perfect for keeping nitrite out of the system, even tho they feed heavily, with that said, they change 50% water each day aswell, sooo :p

For me it seems inexpencive compared to many other systems that are up and running. You can get a FBF for 200$ that can keep up with a 1000gallon tank.. And aside of this, you would need a filter for polish, exept for this your pretty much done.. I would also place a canister filter infront of the FBF to avoid dirt coming into it,you can use a powerhead, but then you should have somekinda filter on it..

Im thinking sumpvice, if you dont have the place for a really really big sump on 1000 gallon tank,you could put 2 powerheads in the last chamber, one direct to the aqurium, and one that goes throught the FBF and then to the tank\or back in the 1st chamber in sump, sounds neat to me..This way you could maybe have a smaller sump(?) a 100 gallon sump(10%) is pretty large :p

Would be great with info from someone who has tested this, and get some feedback bad\good :)

md1017

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Jakarta, Indonesia
Tor-Eriik;4761601; said:
How are these to use on ray tanks? they can handle massive bioloads,and discus breeders use them all over..any thoughts or experiences?
One of the best from what I read. If you worry about power outage, i think that's problem on every filtration system. Have a back up plan...ups perhaps?

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
Some thoughts:
The terms (FBF) Fluidized Bed Filter and "Sand Filter" tend to be used very loosly. A FBF is a column of water with sand (fluidized) suspended within it. The water is injected into the bottom of it and exits the top, filtered. In a Sand Filter, dirty water enters the top and is drawn down into a static bed of sand (non-suspended). The particles are trapped within this bed. Clean water exits out the bottom. Sand Filters are fluidized to clean them.

FBF is a living, breathing column of bacteria. Sand filters are static water polishers.

I have and have not used FBF's throughout my Ray Keeping. Yes FBF's come with the risk that a power outage can cause havoc but they are worth the risk. They offer exceptional biological filtration in a minimum of space and energy. I do not use one right now because I was too lazy to plumb it. Maybe later. :)

(the contents of this post are my opinion, please correct me if I am wrong)
Respectfully,
FireMedic.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
FireMedic;4780919; said:
Some thoughts:
The terms (FBF) Fluidized Bed Filter and "Sand Filter" tend to be used very loosly. A FBF is a column of water with sand (fluidized) suspended within it. The water is injected into the bottom of it and exits the top, filtered. In a Sand Filter, dirty water enters the top and is drawn down into a static bed of sand (non-suspended). The particles are trapped within this bed. Clean water exits out the bottom. Sand Filters are fluidized to clean them.

FBF is a living, breathing column of bacteria. Sand filters are static water polishers.

I have and have not used FBF's throughout my Ray Keeping. Yes FBF's come with the risk that a power outage can cause havoc but they are worth the risk. They offer exceptional biological filtration in a minimum of space and energy. I do not use one right now because I was too lazy to plumb it. Maybe later. :)

(the contents of this post are my opinion, please correct me if I am wrong)
Respectfully,
FireMedic.
Very well put!

I would only add that FBF seem to often need a little adjustment to deal with changes in the flow - they can end up pumping all the sand out OR more often the flow drops off a bit and the sand can settle (In my experience) therefore I would advise a decent control built in along with some spare capacity on the pump.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
Yes, very good point. Fine tuning the FBF can sometimes take every Jedi mind trick you may know. It seems the valves that usually accommodate these filters are not meant for "fine" adjustments. It is a minor inconvenience that can be fixed with some ingenuity. -FM

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store