Fluidized Sand

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
Anyone really familiar with them? Seems like it's relatively the most compact way to get the most surface area. I've got a manifold already and plenty of pump to power it. I'm talking about something holding 2 gallons or so of volume. I guess I have space for more than that but that's about the size I'm considering.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This is a DIY fluidized sand filter I made.
It is about 4 ft tall, and 8" in diameter.
1665409922825.png
Most plans cap (and pressurize these type reactors.
I did not, because during power outages, the influent pipe would often back siphon and clog (even with a check valve) ,with sand and it was easier to clear, if the influent tube was free. to just pull out and whack the sand from.
When first built, I sealed it and found clearing difficult.
1665410041645.png
Mine used a couple lbs of aragonite sand, which, beside being used for beneficial bacteria media, acted as an alkalinity buffer.
Another plus for not being sealed, was as the aragonite dissolved it was easy to just add a handful of sand from the open top.
This size fluidized tube easily handled (bio-filtered) 3 tanks of over 300 gallons, as you can see I placed it next to 50 gal barrel sump.
The tube in the middle sent a strong enough current into the sand to keep sand gradually fluidized up to about half its height.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store