Fluval 405 , can it be turned into a pump/filter/and overflow?

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
So I don't have room for a sump which means I can't do an overflow, so the question is could I alter the intake on 405?

So the intake drops straight down, but could i change it from the fluval pipe to a pvc and put the intake cap on the bottom, then up top use pvc fittings and a small check valve and have another pipe at the top of the tank and have that also suck water up? Could they both run together and not need a valve to adjust? Or is the filter not strong enough to do both, if thats the case thats where I would like to make like a spray bar in reverse with larger holes? Does anyone get this or is it in my head and I have to maybe draw it ? LOL the ideas i get by watching Joeys videos I tell ya.

I can explain more if needed.

David

is300soon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2008
san jose ca
yes, id like it to skim the top of the water to clean up debris and oil slick looking material, and still suck from the bottom of the tank.

D

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I did it on my fx5. All I did was calculated the area of the stock intake and made a bunch of smaller holes totaling or slightly exceeding the area of the stock intake. My intake is about 6" off the right side of the tank so that side has 2 holes, 4 to the front and about 8 to the left. Approximate number of holes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store