Fluval 405 questions???

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
You may need to replace the o-ring on the lid.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
You may need to replace the o-ring on the lid.
also check to make sure it's seated properly, I have a 406 and if I recall right the o-ring can slip up out of it's groove and not seal.

You can try a 100% silicone food safe lubricant lightly applied to the o-ring. Some people use Vaseline petroleum jelly but that will swell the rubber over time

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Ok. I ordered the 4 long sponges for the tray of my fluval 405. Hopefully when I put this tray back it it doesn't leak. If it does leak and I can't get it to stop. I am just going to leave that tray out because I never used any media in that tray and my ammonia and nitrites and nitrates were just fine in the 125 without it

Sent from my SCH-R970C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Ok. I ordered the 4 long sponges for the tray of my fluval 405. Hopefully when I put this tray back it it doesn't leak. If it does leak and I can't get it to stop. I am just going to leave that tray out because I never used any media in that tray and my ammonia and nitrites and nitrates were just fine in the 125 without it

Sent from my SCH

Buddy I know exactly what you are talking about with the leaking and I will tell you how to fix it... I have 5 404 filters and 4 405's and have this leaking problem every time I open it up to clean it..

The problem is the rubber O ring that goes around the top part... I promise you 1 million % it has nothing to do with that tray you are talking about, that tray is suppose to be in there with the 4 long sponges in it, the 4 box looking trays stack on top of each other and that is where you put your media.. I use ceramic rings in 2 or them, pre-filter pads in 1 and carbon pallets in the other!!!

As for the leak all you have to do is take the rubber ring off and clean it good just with a rag and water, then clean the grove where the O ring sits and clean the inside of the filter box where the O ring sits against the inside... Even if it don't look dirty clean them every time you open it and that will help it not leak... Also make sure you put the top on level and push it down even...

Some times even after you do all that it will still leak for a minute or 2 after you start the filter but it should stop after a minute or 3.... This is what I do with all my filters and it works for me so I hope it will help you!!!!

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va

Sent from my SCH

Buddy I know exactly what you are talking about with the leaking and I will tell you how to fix it... I have 5 404 filters and 4 405's and have this leaking problem every time I open it up to clean it..

The problem is the rubber O ring that goes around the top part... I promise you 1 million % it has nothing to do with that tray you are talking about, that tray is suppose to be in there with the 4 long sponges in it, the 4 box looking trays stack on top of each other and that is where you put your media.. I use ceramic rings in 2 or them, pre-filter pads in 1 and carbon pallets in the other!!!

As for the leak all you have to do is take the rubber ring off and clean it good just with a rag and water, then clean the grove where the O ring sits and clean the inside of the filter box where the O ring sits against the inside... Even if it don't look dirty clean them every time you open it and that will help it not leak... Also make sure you put the top on level and push it down even...

Some times even after you do all that it will still leak for a minute or 2 after you start the filter but it should stop after a minute or 3.... This is what I do with all my filters and it works for me so I hope it will help you!!!!

Sent from my SCH-R970C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thanks I will try this as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store