Fluval aquasky vs other lights for 75 gallon

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I bought a beamswork FSPEC 48" light last year, it has a blue tint, makes noise when dimmed. I just don't like it, I am selling it and getting something else.

I looked at few options
1. Finnex stringray: I have a 20" version that I used to have on my 10 gallon tank, I liked the color tone a lot. 48" version would be $75
2. Fluval aquasky: It can be controlled by bluetooth/phone, warranty is 3 years, I assume customer service would be good and I can get one for about $100 from petsmart using coupons.

Thoughts?

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I have an aqua sky on my 125 I like it a lot you can customize the lighting at various points throughout the day I have mine run 20hrs a day with moonlight from 7pm till about 3am then total darkness from 3am til about 7am when the sun rises
Thank you. I would probably pick one today.

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
I have an aqua sky on my 125 I like it a lot you can customize the lighting at various points throughout the day I have mine run 20hrs a day with moonlight from 7pm till about 3am then total darkness from 3am til about 7am when the sun rises
Do you have serious algae issues? I had an Aquasky previously and wanted to do something like this, but was concerned I would get insane amounts of algae.

Reactions: Ruturaj

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I have both, and honestly would recommend finnex lights over the aquasky. The aquasky is a complete pain to operate, the app doesn't work, and even the touch-botton on the light itself sometimes refuses to work. Haven't had these problems with the finnex. I have a Planted + 24/7 version.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I have both, and honestly would recommend finnex lights over the aquasky. The aquasky is a complete pain to operate, the app doesn't work, and even the touch-botton on the light itself sometimes refuses to work. Haven't had these problems with the finnex. I have a Planted + 24/7 version.
I won't naysay the finned lights but what do you mean the app doesn't work? Always worked as advertised for me.
20210211_174429.jpg
20210211_174342.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
My experience was lots of trouble connecting to the light, would then disconnect randomly and need to be reconnected which it wouldn't always do. And the finger "button" which is just a touch pad, sometimes works fine, other times will not activate no matter how many times you try. If there is any moisture on your hand it wont work for me. Would chalk it up to just my light but if you read the reviews on amazon there are lots of other people who have had the same problem with the app. Maybe it's hit or miss and I've got a dud, not sure. I'm pretty tech savvy, don't have problems with my reef lights or controllers for example.
I won't naysay the finned lights but what do you mean the app doesn't work? Always worked as advertised for me.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
My experience was lots of trouble connecting to the light, would then disconnect randomly and need to be reconnected which it wouldn't always do. And the finger "button" which is just a touch pad, sometimes works fine, other times will not activate no matter how many times you try. If there is any moisture on your hand it wont work for me. Would chalk it up to just my light but if you read the reviews on amazon there are lots of other people who have had the same problem with the app. Maybe it's hit or miss and I've got a dud, not sure. I'm pretty tech savvy, don't have problems with my reef lights or controllers for example.
Word. I've never even known there was a button lol. I've always heard the finnex lights were nice I just think I found the fluvals at a better price point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store