Fluval FX5 grinding noise

MichaelAngelo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Markham ON
I've had the FX5 for about a year. About a week ago I noticed a disturbing grinding sound. I just finished taking it apart and cleaning the impeller assembly, alas the grinding continues. I followed the instructions as per http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/FX5_user_manual_EN.pdf page 22. Added a little bit of petroleum jelly to the impeller base.

Anybody else had this problem with their FX5? How did you go about fixing it? Replacement motor assemblies run upwards of $160. I paid $200 for this filter :irked:

rat2273

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2007
Warwick NY
I have the same problem, and canot figure it out, I took the entire motor apart and cleaned everything thinking maybe sand or a small rock got stuck. but to no luck, I was gunna just buy a new inpeller and see what happens. If anybody else has an answer please let us know.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I'd clean the impeller again, it can be a grain of sand. Mine was doing the same thing due to a lot of sand in the filter. I cleaned the impeller twice and there was still a slight grind which eventually worked itself out.

dizcus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
PRISON
have you ever though of buying another impeller.

MichaelAngelo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Markham ON
I'd clean the impeller again, it can be a grain of sand. Mine was doing the same thing due to a lot of sand in the filter. I cleaned the impeller twice and there was still a slight grind which eventually worked itself out.
How exactly did you clean yours? Did you use a brush? I just rinsed it out with water and used my finger to free up the goop.

I'm wondering if anybody knows of anything else that could be wrong besides the impeller.

david503bk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
Mamma's house
i can't figure it out either. I have one that runs flawless and one makes a noise. Both tanks have sand. I actually the quiet on gets a lot of sand in the filter.

MichaelAngelo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Markham ON
I just turned the filter off and a huge rush of water ran in. Seems like air is getting in somehow OR it refuses to completely fill with water. There is not a single air stone in my tank.

It does it's normal 2 min purge and 24 hour purge. so strange.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I usually spray the impeller well in the kitchen sink and wipe it out with paper towel. If you're getting air you need to clean the media, water is being pushed out by the pump faster than the siphon will refill the canister. Replacing the impeller will not work if there is still debris in the well and worn impellers make a rattling sound not a grind.

Westie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
Bay Area CA USA
Did you check your motor to make sure it hasn't come loose? Mine did, the screws were so loose that the motor unit was able to be wiggled by hand. Glad I caught it before something serious occured. An air pocket will develope if your sponges get clogged espescially the water polishing pad. The only other time I had a grinding noise was when a plastic plant got sucked into the filter but, it sounds like you guys have checked that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store