FLUVAL G6 and now what?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I'm using G6 and all my tanks are using G6. I love it, easy to maintenance run super quiet perfect for aquariums below 125G, it's pricey but if you can afford then I would say go for it. There will some other gonna said paying 1xG6 = buying 5x Sunsun but I'm not going to debate that. I'll buy what I wanted and if I happy with that then it's worth for me.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
How would the g6 compare to the fx6?
I know they use different technology, but is one better than the other?
I'm looking to replace my cheap canisters with better reliable and better flow, I'm sure most canisters will be quiet.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
FX6 is bigger than G6 so there is not fair to compare those 2 filters, FX6 handle a lot more bioload and has higher flow. About noises G6 run completely silent, my pleco carving the wood at night make more noises than my 2x G6 systems :D
FX6 is heavy and headache to do maintenance while with G6 you only need few minutes to clean out the pre-filter media, chemical media. Both filter are good but G6 cost a lot more than FX6 so most folks trash talk G6 cause of that...Again, if money is not an issue to you than go with G6, other than that just stick the one worth to your wallet :D

Arleta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2015
NYC
My 72 bow tank works for over two weeks now. Few conclusions about Fluval G6.
Its extramely quiet, only noise i can hear its flowing in the tank water.
Its powerful, creats lots of current in the tank. I would say to powerful for my 72 g. I need to direct flow by using spray bars straight on to the tank glas to minimize water movement.
It seems to be dooing great job. My parameters are in norms Ph
stabilize slowly.
Cleaning takes about 25 minutes and u can do it without creating any mes.

Problem I've noticed its rather external. My mechanical cardridge cumulates alge. What affect flow of the water. Since I run planted aquarium I struggle with alge outbreak.
Electronic Display of parameters its rather useless. Shows exact temperature, water flow and conductivity (this one is like a black magick to me)

Generaly I can recommend this filter to those who wants to keep smaller big tanks. And doesnt have lots of aquatic/technical knowledge. I am not sure though if its good for planted aquarium. Algea affects it work. But this is only problem I've noticed in my tank. I assume my LED lights that ar3 designed for both marine and planted tanks are as well to strong and provokes algea growth.
View attachment 1070543
20150330_224038.jpg

20150330_224038.jpg

20150331_181216.jpg

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
I got one as a replacement for my "failing" FX5 (90gal tank) - it did MISERABLY and it's going back for a full refund (thank you Amazon!). Probably good for SMALL tanks, but NO WAY could it handle the advertised 160gal!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store