Flying Fox alternative

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
You have no idea what your talking about!

after 30 years in this hobby I think I know what a SFF is and how to tell them apart from an SAE.

I don't know if the rest of the family eat algae but SFF do...............
Steve
Well I guess your the first one in the whole world to have FF that eat BBA. Never heard of it and I belong to all the Plant forums never have I heard someone say get some FF they'll eat your BBA. I've never seen anyone recommend Redtail sharks or Rainbow sharks or Flying Foxes as good algae eating fish. I'll stick with the SAE

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
No matter which fish you have, or what you are talking about, they ALL enjoy algae.

SAE's also have a sucker mouth, whereas the foxes do not. If you have seen both, they are immediately recognizable.
There easy to tell apart when you have them together. By themselfs they are so many times mixed up. Even reputable fish store owners get confused. Flying Foxes are so often sold to them as Siamese Algae eaters and visa versa. I myself have purchased SAE labeled as FF in LFS. I never heard of FF eating algae or have never heard anyone recommend them as a algae eating fish.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
They are easy to tell apart, by themselves, if you know what you are looking at.

They ARE known to eat algae. Otherwise why would they be called a great alternative to the SAE's, which they are? (The reason being that they don't turn aggressive.)

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Chinese algae eaters (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) have a sucker mouth AKA CAE or the sucker loach. Siemese algae eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) do not, the SAE is what is used to eat BBA. Flying Foxes (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus) does not eat BBA. The easy way to ID the two is the black stripe on the SAE runs all the way through to the fork in the caudal fin where in the Flying Fox it stops at the end of the body and never goes onto the caudal fin.

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
Who says FF are a good alternative to SAE, OP? OP thinks there the same fish...

Here Flying Fox or SAE
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pack-of-F...261330154631?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item3cd87db487

Most times you see SAE for sale a lot of times they'll say True Siamese Algae Eater. Why do they need to say True cause there so often mixed up with FF.

You may see FF graze over algae that doesn't mean there eating it. There a scavenger they graze over everything in the tank. If you want an algae eater don't get Flying Foxes.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Three species that I've kept the will eat BBA are the SAE, Mollies & Amano shrimp. Neither the Flying Fox nor the CAE will eat BBA.

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
The easy way to ID the two is the black stripe on the SAE runs all the way through to the fork in the caudal fin where in the Flying Fox it stops at the end of the body and never goes onto the caudal fin.
Yes exactly plus FF have dark markings in there fins SAE do not. Really small FF are harder to see these marking..

urs4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
central mass.
I learned something from this... When I was introduced to the Crossocheilus siamensis the LFS called it a Flying fox. I knew the differences between them but had never realized the false is actually the flying fox. I owe Mygiants an apology as the FF does not eat BBR.... and I also see why fwprawn was asking me wtf are u talking about. Oh well a little crow pie does me good every now and then...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store