Food questions?

HikariSalesUSA

M.A.N. Community Sponsor
MFK Member
Community Sponsor
Jan 31, 2010
Arrowana can be hesitant to change from one type of food to another. If you have been feeding them live foods, this can be a little more tricky. If you take a few Food Sticks and soak them in water for a few minutes, they will become pancake-like and also the smell will become stronger in the water. This will sometimes attract them and if they nudge it and notice the texture is not hard, they will go for it. You can also take a few Food Sticks and throw them at the water surface with some force to duplicate a live food going in, this also works well. Once the eat a few of the Food Sticks, they get it and feeding should get much easier going forward. Size can also play a part, if you have very large Arrowana, try using the Jumbo CarniSticks. Each stick has the caloric equivalent to one live goldfish.

HikariSalesUSA

M.A.N. Community Sponsor
MFK Member
Community Sponsor
Jan 31, 2010
All of our koi diets are formulated to help the koi utilize a high percentage of the nutrients in them. Our Saki-Hikari line of products exceeds that of the other products within the koi line as a result of the Hikari Germ which offers many benefits over standard diets. Please visit the link below:

http://hikariusa.com/products/koi/koi_saki-hikari.php

Chris-Chicago

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
Chicago IL USA Earth
Most Koi food recommendations are "feed what they will consume in a minute or two" or variations of that kind of language - but for example, if you had 5 Koi, all about 10-12" and about 1 or 1.2 pounds each, how much food would you recommend... ? a Table Spoon, two table spoons. Assume summer, 75F degree water. Just checking to see if I am under or over feeding.

Chris-Chicago

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
Chicago IL USA Earth
But that doesn't answer my question of July 8th on "Volume" or "Quantity" of food, based on approximate fish size, rather than feeding frenzy for 2 minutes. Any recommendations in measurements of volume, like Table Spoon, 1/8th of a cup. See my July 8th post

HikariSalesUSA

M.A.N. Community Sponsor
MFK Member
Community Sponsor
Jan 31, 2010
Which of your lines of KOI food do you recommend for lowest Fish Waste ?
Saki-Hikari will offer the lowest overall waste output an the Hikari-Germ (a live (viable) living micro-organism will work to break down any waste output in to a powder-like material which increases the overall surface area and thereby makes it easier for your bio-action to breakdown. If you are looking for more economical options, we would need to know the size of your pond and the current water temperature to provide the best answer.

HikariSalesUSA

M.A.N. Community Sponsor
MFK Member
Community Sponsor
Jan 31, 2010
At 75F you can feed up to 2% of the body weight of the fish daily. Breaking it down in to numerous smaller feeding will result in better utilization and faster growth.

Chris-Chicago

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
Chicago IL USA Earth
Thanks - that helps my "scientific side" have a solid metric .... I try to feed 3x's sometimes 4x's when I have time, and feed slowly to make sure they want it and every piece gets eaten. It's part of the enjoyment of koi to watch them head for the food, and swim around chewing. ;) Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store