For Gator Gar keepers, Kinda makes you mad

xxxamorexxx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2010
Leesburg, VA
I own one of these guys, a juvenile alligator gar, and yes for those of you who are wondering he is a true alligator gar. He is 16 inches long, and only 9 months old. I adopted him becaus the guy who gave him up because he has a spinal deformity. Has been that way for 6 months of his life. So we took him in. These creatures are truly amazing and are rather intelligent. I stare at him hours per week. These creatures should be protected in the wild, not hunted

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
I suppose I'm on the other side of the fence with issue of 'eating what you kill' in regard to this particular specimen. Usually I whole-heartedly agree with that statement. But from what I understand (and most of my current alligator gar knowledge comes from a recent episode of River Monsters) alligator gars of this size are extremely rare in the wild. Just like other monster fish around the world like arapaimas that are rarely seen at their full potential size anymore. I would like to see this behemoth mounted and put on display in a public forum where people could appreciate the magnificence of this creature.

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
hey ermgravy, sorry but gar here in texas are everywhere! seriuosly. yes populations are deminishing but they are still very populated. i have seen multiple gar surface at my boat that were over 8ft. an dif you think its easy to shoot a gar with a bow that surfaces for .05 seconds in water that you cant see 5 in down. it gets a little difficult.
alot of us down here do see gar as amazing creatures the majority of people that think they are trash fish are the same group that think all snakes are blood thirsty killers.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Its really disgusting what some people do for entertainment. Yes, kill a magnificent animal and call it sport...I consider it a mental illness.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Oscarum monstruoso;4409344; said:
Its really disgusting what some people do for entertainment. Yes, kill a magnificent animal and call it sport...I consider it a mental illness.
Good grief I wish I could edit that. Apologies to anyone I may have insulted, that comment was needlessly provocative and Im going to pause and reconsider a couple more times every time I post from now on.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
scalesandfins;4409316; said:
hey ermgravy, sorry but gar here in texas are everywhere! seriuosly. yes populations are deminishing but they are still very populated. .
Just remember one thing.... Your above statement was exactly what they where saying in Arkansas and now the fish are pretty much extinct and living in two or three holes.. This is why we are very very very happy that Texas made a foreword thinking move and has now placed limits on the take of the fish.

Really Sporting take is a good thing for these fish in the long run. What is not good is if it is unregulated.

But from what I understand (and most of my current alligator gar knowledge comes from a recent episode of River Monsters)
Word of advice: Look elsewhere for factual information not screwed up with spin and television hype..........

scalesandfins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
sportsmans paradise
hey peje, your right. if texas didnt put a limit on them they would be gone faster than you can blink. n i think they would do just fine on there own without us but limited harvest wont hurt them as bad. i think they need a size limit to make sure the big females are still breeding. anythin over 6 ft should not be shot. but it is still amazing to see them out of water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store