For the first time in in 15 years!

slammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2006
Kentucky
www.shootersville.net
For the first time in at least 15 years an Ich outbreak! What a bummer.

In the 55 in my office I noticed 2 fish with Ich. Lace Syndontis and a RT Botia. I removed them from the 55 and put them into a 10 gallon.

I set the ten up as follows...

Filter...Aquaclear 150 that was hanging on the 55 in prep for just this sort of problem. 2 sponges, no carbon.

Heater...tank is at 82 F.

Additional aeration via a small pump and airstone.

Water...6 gallons from the 55 and 4 from the tap. (properly de-chlorinated).

Medication...Quick cure. This is what we always used before but after 3 days their is absolutely no improvement. Is their a new Ich med out there better than QC?

I feel like a newbie! I have'nt had to deal with this in so long it's like I am starting over! :WHOA:

Slam

JD_MAN

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
Indy Anna
I just had to deal with ich on my discus. I just cranked the heat up and added some aquarium salt. I did a water change a couple of days later and added a little more salt and it was taken care of after that.

scottchristian

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
las vegas, NV
it seems like aquarium salt is the best cure

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I am also a salt guy but have not treated a lace syndontis. For other fish except corys I use 2 teaspoons salt per gallon. If you want to use meds you can try Rid Ich Plus, use the plus not the original as the new formulation is safer for scaleless fish like loaches.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
I've used Quick Cure's Rid Ich with scaleless fish with no problem but I always treated at about 1/2-3/4 dosage. never tried Rid Ich Plus but sounds like it would be even better with loaches and such. :grinyes:

Casey Norris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
Oklahoma
I vote for turning the heat up a few degrees, aquarium salt and daily water changes. I know daily changes are a pain but ich meds only kill it in certain stages of its life cycle. And ich replicated in substrate like crazy, so its generally better to do a daily water change and get them before they have a chance to latch on to any fish. You should probably treat the entire tank that the fish were living in. Just because only a few fish show signs doesn’t mean that they are the only ones that have been infected, like I said ich gets in your substrate and uses it like its own personal hotel before it moves onto your fish.

slammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2006
Kentucky
www.shootersville.net
I moved the affected fish to a bare bottomed quarantine tank and treated as stated in the OP. I then treated the main tank once. All seems well now but I am waiting awhile before I relax. I do 50% water changes on the "Q" tank daily. Thanks for the help.

Vapor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Calgary Ab. Canada
Botias or loaches are very sensitive to Ich medications. Raise temp to 84, lots of air, and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons of water. Do this for at least ten days. If you change out any water add in the appropriate amount of salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store