Forgot to turn your pump back on after feeding?

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
good job

SoCalDiscus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2007
Irvine, CA
www.socaldiscus.com
joeyballz;2004674; said:
AHH the idea's this hobby spawns. Sometimes I think I get more enjoyment out building things for my tank then the fish.
Hahaha, I agree! I enjoy the fish, but I'm all about the projects too. In another life I would have been an engineer. Of course, if you do it for a living, it wouldn't be as fun to do at home.

frasertheking;2004691; said:
great idea man looks great :headbang2
Thanks!

RexFish;2004984; said:
Thats a good idea, very nice
Thanks!

chesterthehero;2005264; said:
Thanks!

Ranap

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Texas
Thanks for the info! I've been looking for a way to do this for a while now!
BTW, nice discus!

demillso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Illinois
SoCalDiscus;2008127; said:
Hahaha, I agree! I enjoy the fish, but I'm all about the projects too. In another life I would have been an engineer. Of course, if you do it for a living, it wouldn't be as fun to do at home.
In real life I am an engineer. Trust me, its still loads of fun concocting all kinds of ridiculous crap at home. :naughty:

quintas14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2008
UK

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
Sorry for you losses, but we did the same thing on the pond.

The only thing that I would suggest is that you consider adding something to the tank that will provide aeration to the tank in the event of a power outage or pump failure. I have multiple filters in addition to the sump that move the surface of the water so I do not really have to worry about forgetting to turn the sump pump back on after feeding (for oxygenation reasons). Plus, I have a sponge filter and an air diffuser on a seperate powerstrip (with the lights) so they are always running, regardless of if the other filtration is working. Even just a powerhead pointed across the surface/with the outlet right above the water level will not mess the food up but will help with oxygenation in a situation like this.

BTW, we got our timer for $15 from some spa supply place through ebay. It is normally closed, but most of them have the ability to be switched to normally opened.

HTH

MississippiNative

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
Mississippi
Great work. Simple. Cheap and effective... no engineer could ever design that.

Lol, j/k I make friends with engineers pretty easilly at work, I'm that type as well, always designing, I love it.

Back on track though, for anyone else who may want to make one of these, try wiring a heavy duty relay in line with the timer, you can get a SPDT relay from an electrical or electronics supply company. With one of these, you can up your amperage rating on the timer, as well as turn a NO timer into a NC timer. (change a timer that normally has the power off, into one that normally has the power on)

That being said, my post is for purely educational purposes and suggestions of ideas to competent electricians, if you have ANY doubt about your skill with the zap juice, then find an electrician to wire this up for you. I can draw up a schematic that should give the gyst of the circuit I'm talking about if anyone's interested. In the meantime rock on with the DIY! :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store