Found this baby turtle

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Yes, that's definitely a Common Snapper. Baby turtles hatch in the fall and most overwinter in the ground instead of coming to the surface. As soon as the warm days start showing up, you'll see more baby turtles around.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cool,there's a big old snapper that lives in the creek where I catch minnows in the summer.It sticks it's head up out of the water from time to time and I have seen it's whole body in some shallow areas.I wonder if it has any little ones running around.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This also reminds me that the annual toad crossing will be on hand pretty soon here.

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Cool,there's a big old snapper that lives in the creek where I catch minnows in the summer.It sticks it's head up out of the water from time to time and I have seen it's whole body in some shallow areas.I wonder if it has any little ones running around.
Most likely, they're the most common, widespread turtle species in North America. Pretty much any permanent body of water has a snapper in it.

This also reminds me that the annual toad crossing will be on hand pretty soon here.
Yep, I have one of those near me too. When it gets warm out in the spring there are toads EVERYWHERE on the street in front of my house.

I have vernal pond in the woods behind my house. The Spotted and Marbled Salamanders have already made their way to it and laid eggs as well as the Wood Frogs.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have some types of salamanders in my yard,no idea how they reproduce since there are no ponds back there.

Vicious_Fish

MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
If they are Red Back (Lead Back) Salamanders, they skip using water to lay their eggs in and instead lay them underground or inside rotting logs. They're the most commonly found species in PA.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's probably them but I'll look them up to be sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store