Freckled gar

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Must be a close relative of the "Marbled Gar," also a pike, but more of a stripe along the side
they are actually the same, the young fish will have the lateral line like that and the pattern change when they get older.

LordWookie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Oregon
I bought him pretty cool fish now just need to work on getting him off feeder fish. Hopefully earthworms will help then tilapia chunks.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Just a warning they can be very hard to train offa live. in this reguard the sticky for converting true gar should also apply to these guys.. floating foods like crickets and krill are a good start and it should take to pellets fairly readily from there... they are also fairly smart and will learn to eat other food from tank-mates. Just make sure he doesn't starve.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
a spotted pike characin(boulengerella maculata), also caller fresh water baracuda, it is not a gar!

Good thing, true gars are prohibited here....

What LFS did you find him in, if you don't mind my asking?

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
they are actually the same, the young fish will have the lateral line like that and the pattern change when they get older.
That is not actually true for the pike characins, Boulengerella maculata has spots its entire life, Boulengerella lateristriga is another commonly available species also labeled as "marbled gar" that has a stripe running laterally down its body. Boulengerella cuvieri is also seldom available and look much like B. lateristriga, but they have a different color caudal fin and they grow much larger.

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
looks like south American gar, seen them with more red color
That's precisely what they are. I have also seen these labeled as South American gar. The specimen you most likely saw was Boulengerella cuvieri which has more red than B. maculata and B. lateristriga, although, I have seen some "pink" looking B. maculata and some reddish looking B. lateristriga.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store