Freeze-dried cricket, krill, shrimp, meal worm - shell digestion?

BichirMohawk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2016
Can feeding these foods too often to a Leopard Cteonopoma cause digestion problems because of the shells? My Leopard Ctenopoma will often spit out krill shells and make a mess even when I break the krill up into bite size pieces. I can't exactly remove the shells on these freeze dried foods either or else they crumble.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Can feeding these foods too often to a Leopard Cteonopoma cause digestion problems because of the shells? My Leopard Ctenopoma will often spit out krill shells and make a mess even when I break the krill up into bite size pieces. I can't exactly remove the shells on these freeze dried foods either or else they crumble.
RD. RD.

Reactions: BichirMohawk

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have no idea how well that species can digest chitin from the shell of krill, but I suspect if it is spitting it out it simply doesn't like the feel in its mouth and considers the harder shell portion as non edible. Try pre-soaking the freeze dried krill for 1-3 hours in either water, or a liquid vitamin such as Boyd Vitachem.

Predatory species typically feed like this - sight, smell, feel, taste. If it feels wrong to the fish that can often lead to rejection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store