Fresh 2 Brackish

Daeorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
NY
Just throwing the salt directly into the tank can kill the fish. Definately mix it in a small container until the salt dissolves

bartier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Australia
so you could fill it up with normal water then add the salt water that would only be in a little container

MCHRKiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
usa
What Ive always done with my brackish tanks is ill mix up my salt water kind of concentrated in a bucket and slowly pour it back into the tank into the stream of my python...its always worked for me and the fish are fans of the flunctuations in salinity anyway i dont realy bother checking the SG of the water im adding back to the tank. Sometimes Ill do a WC with straight fresh water, and sometimes Ill change it will a rather strong marine solution.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
catfishlover106;1372050; said:
what is the appropiate SG for a Brackish Tank?
Anything between 0.002 and 0.023 is considered brackish..

Different types of nitrifying bacteria grow at each salinity, sudden swings over .002 at one time will kill off the bacteria resulting in an ammona spike. I killed some puffers this way by getting lazy with checking my SG..

catfishlover106

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2007
Daly City/San Francisco, CA
by that i mean each time i add the right about of salt...and checkin the SG with the hydrometer...

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
A good general guideline is .002 up or down every 2 weeks.. allows time for the bacteria to re-establish itself. Try not to have any heavy feedings during these transitions.

Marine salt raises your pH, and Ammonia is more toxic the pH.. it's very easy to kill a brackish tank off with an ammonia spike because of this scenario.

catfishlover106

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2007
Daly City/San Francisco, CA
oh yea...i have a managuense in my 120 gallon ryt now that im planning on doing my brackish tank...if i bring the SG to 1.005 will it kill my managuense?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store