Fresh Water Moray Eel

jappie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2018
Hi,

I'm considering to take a FW moray eel but i want a little more info.
Can you guys answer some questions for me?

Can a FW tiger moray eel in fully FW because i know the most are brackish?
How many should i take in a 450L (119 gallon) aquarium?
What tankmater are good for a FW moray eel because i know they are shy?
What is the best food for them?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Gymnothorax polyuranodonbcan be kept full freshwater.

Tankamtes can be large enough not to get eaten. So datnoids, tinfoil barbs, larger catfish (vulture), etc.

Will get close to 3ft in most home aquariums if kept right and large enough space. All gaps must be covered.

Will eat cut up shrimp and fish. Seen some on pellets as well.

jappie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2018
Gymnothorax polyuranodonbcan be kept full freshwater.

Tankamtes can be large enough not to get eaten. So datnoids, tinfoil barbs, larger catfish (vulture), etc.

Will get close to 3ft in most home aquariums if kept right and large enough space. All gaps must be covered.

Will eat cut up shrimp and fish. Seen some on pellets as well.
So is a 119 gallon tank a good place for a moray ? or is it too small?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So is a 119 gallon tank a good place for a moray ? or is it too small?
Fine for a growout. Will need a bigger tank INO. Don’t take a lot of swimming space but if ur having potential tankamtes the bigger is the way to go.

jappie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2018
Fine for a growout. Will need a bigger tank INO. Don’t take a lot of swimming space but if ur having potential tankamtes the bigger is the way to go.
yeah if im going to take one it will be just one without tankmates otherwise it will be torture for the fishes

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I got mine in fresh for over a year or two now, eats FD Krill and on occasions Hikari Carni-sticks...

As Kno4te mentioned, keep all openings to the outside of the tank (no matter how small) sealed...

That includes areas where the filter intakes go into the tank etc... i lost one eel that way...

Reactions: Luke tomkinson

jappie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2018
I got mine in fresh for over a year or two now, eats FD Krill and on occasions Hikari Carni-sticks...

As Kno4te mentioned, keep all openings to the outside of the tank (no matter how small) sealed...

That includes areas where the filter intakes go into the tank etc... i lost one eel that way...

so even the hole of the tube where the water of the filter comes out? (do i need to cover it with a sponge)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
so even the hole of the tube where the water of the filter comes out? (do i need to cover it with a sponge)
Those holes can be left uncovered and should be okay...

Its mainly any holes that lead directly out of yhe tank and onto the floor you need to becareful of...

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Hi,

I'm considering to take a FW moray eel but i want a little more info.
Can you guys answer some questions for me?

Can a FW tiger moray eel in fully FW because i know the most are brackish?
How many should i take in a 450L (119 gallon) aquarium?
What tankmater are good for a FW moray eel because i know they are shy?
What is the best food for them?
(1) Yes can.. Most of my friends keep their FW moray eels in full FW for years with no ill effects. I myself keep mine in low-end brackish (1.006-1.009 SG), but I think it's not a requirement.

(2)Tiger Eels (I assume you meant Gymnothorax Polyuranodon) could grow to 100 cm maybe more, but mostly they grow to 80 cm. In a big aquarium, you can keep up to 5 with no problems.

(3)I keep my Tiger Eels with 3 white-cheeked morays and 2 tidepool snake morays, and they seems happy to enjoy each other's company.

(4) I give my Tiger Eels all kinds of live and frozen food. Live guppies, live mollies, live shrimps, chopped shrimps.. but interestingly, since I fed it bloodworms, it seems to eat bloodworms first before others.

This is one of my tiger eels eating bloodworms:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store