Freshwater Aquatic Hermit Crabs

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Yes, they are landlocked but can't reproduce, the larvae get washed into a lake during high tide storms. Blue crabs also ascend small creeks around here as well but the go back to the ocean...

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
if anyone is still interested. Clibanarius vittatus or thinstripe hermit crabs are find in brackish water as long as it is above 1.010. They are native to Florida and you can buy them in most pet stores. Very hardy large hermit crab. Not really freshwater, but pretty close.
We have them here in NC as well, I wonder if they would live if calcium chloride replaced much of the salt...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Just make it brackish. It's not a big deal anyway.
+1
As far as I've seen low end brackish is still simple to do :D
I live near an estuary, you would be surprised at the number of marine fish that can be found as young in freshwater. Most will die as they grow large, the common hogchoker flounder often found in the trade will die at around 8" if they are not allowed to migrate to the ocean, I've raised them from larvae with eyes on opposite sides of their heads to the 8" mark many times.

I am more concerned with how freshwater fish would react to low level brackish, many catfish and tetras are not particularly tolerant of salt but will tolerate calcium chloride.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store