Freshwater clams

Diamondhitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2006
Alberta
I recently saw some razor clams and golden clams for sale but the shop owner had little knowledge about them. Would they clean the gravel of the tank? And if so would they be OK with SA Cichlids.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I don't think they clean gravel but will definitely improve water quality. They are filter feeders.

Dirty Old Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
Arizona
I've been lookin' to get some freshwater clams for a while now; unfortunately, my lfs said they were illegal to purchase in AZ. Really sucks.

Would they survive with salt in the tank? One Tbs per 5 gallons.

filiportela

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
portugal
the thing is they don't open... they just stand like rocks... i also heard they clean, but what fun is it to have somethig that you are waitting to see open, and doesn't?...

RuXPiN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2006
Steve Irwins Shadow
IVE NEVER had them live for more than a week or two, they are cool while they last

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I guess you gotta have some really dirty water or something so they can filter throught it to eat. Might have to add stuff to the water too like for saltwater clams. Cyclopeze or something. Cant imagine they could live off of fish poop alone.
If people can live on Taco Bell, clams can live on fish poop. LOL:ROFL:

justin

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
FL
U won't see them open because that is not what they do. If in the proper tank they will burry themselves in the substrate and not move unless the search for a place that has more food. Then they will use their foot to drag them through your sand/gravel. They won't clean substrate. They stick their siphon up through the substrate and filter feed through that. The siphon is probably all u will ever see unless you see a fish dig it up and eat it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store