Freshwater Moray (gymnothorax polyuranodon)

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Today a dream came true: My Moray arrived! ???

IMG_20221007_094600.jpg

IMG_20221007_094648.jpg

The integration in my community tank worked great. It is gettting along with the oither ones very well ?

IMG_20221007_104242.jpg

At first the moray started exploring the tank.

IMG_20221007_104230.jpg

IMG_20221007_111649.jpg

IMG_20221007_184925.jpg

IMG_20221007_104300.jpg

After a while it settled down in the cave i burried yesterday for it.

IMG_20221007_124932.jpg

At the moment, it is shareing this cave with my p. teugelsi... but without any aggression^^
A few hours later she already was interested in food too ?

This is a great fish, wich i've been trying to get for about five years now. So it really feels like christmas today.

Because these aren't very common auquarium fishes, i started this thread to share my experiences with it and maybe get some of yours.

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
And one more thing...
As far as i known, sex determinition on morays is more or less impossible....but maybe i'm wrong.
Can anyone tell / gues the gender of it?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Today a dream came true: My Moray arrived! ???

View attachment 1504511

View attachment 1504512

The integration in my community tank worked great. It is gettting along with the oither ones very well ?

View attachment 1504513

At first the moray started exploring the tank.

View attachment 1504514

View attachment 1504515

View attachment 1504516

View attachment 1504517

After a while it settled down in the cave i burried yesterday for it.

View attachment 1504518

At the moment, it is shareing this cave with my p. teugelsi... but without any aggression^^
A few hours later she already was interested in food too ?

This is a great fish, wich i've been trying to get for about five years now. So it really feels like christmas today.

Because these aren't very common auquarium fishes, i started this thread to share my experiences with it and maybe get some of yours.
I've never kept that specie but had a white cheek moray brackish and a snowflake moray around the same time. The white cheek was kept by itself no tankmates. The snowflake had Marbled Catshark's for tankmates. The two species weren't aggressive imo. Moray are believed to have poor eye sight so watch your fingers.

Reactions: kno4te

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
I've never kept that specie but had a white cheek moray brackish and a snowflake moray around the same time. The white cheek was kept by itself no tankmates. The snowflake had Marbled Catshark's for tankmates. The two species weren't aggressive imo. Moray are believed to have poor eye sight so watch your fingers.
Thanks for the advice!
I know moray bites ain't funny... but it think as long as i am aware of the danger, it will work :)
A snowflake moray with catsharks sounds awesome!
I started with this moray, because all my tanks are freshwater and the water is very hard around here...so it seems to fit perfect.
And damn i love the leopard pattern. I could watch this fish all day long^^

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
At the moment the moray seems to do well in her new home.
It is still very shy... but i think this ist pretty normal after two days.

According to the water paremeters, i have a question. Maybe you can help me.
at the moment i have these parameters:

Temperature: 26°C (~78°F)
PH: ~7.5
KH: ~10
GH: ~ 7 - 8

I think the PH and KH are good as they are, but i am worried, that the GH could be a bit too low.
I haven't found many informations about the right GH for these species.
Should i try to increase it? And what method would you recommend?
I am thinking about adding some hole-rocks to my swamp filter...

Reactions: RD. and tlindsey

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Enjoy that looks a lovely looking one and quite thick too which is good. I think I have lost mine it has lived in the alfagrog chanber of the sump for about 8 months and every month I check up on it but this weekend I couldnt find it or any sign of it having climbed out which is a shame as I have just set up another tank without sump and weirs/pipes for it to live in

Easy to feed in my experience mine eat everything

Reactions: tlindsey

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Enjoy that looks a lovely looking one and quite thick too which is good. I think I have lost mine it has lived in the alfagrog chanber of the sump for about 8 months and every month I check up on it but this weekend I couldnt find it or any sign of it having climbed out which is a shame as I have just set up another tank without sump and weirs/pipes for it to live in

Easy to feed in my experience mine eat everything
A dead fish can't hide.. so maybe it will appear somewhere else in the tank again. I keep my fingers crossed.

I'm scared, that mine will make it to the sump, too. But the overflow is already very secure because of my polypterus weeksii, that made it into there twice^^

IMG_20221010_221025.jpg

I hope this will also be enough for the moray. But for the worst case: my sump has a lid too^^

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Today i was able to feed the moray with my tweezers ~ 1,5 smelts (in slices) ?
The other 0,5 smelt was stolen by the polypterus ?

I'm also thinking about names. Because i don't know the gender, it doesn't matter on the name.
At the moment i have "Carlos" and "Nessi"... but i'm not realy convinced...

Has anyone a good idea for a moray-name ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store