Freshwater stingray unknown disease help me pls

Silencious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
between 0 and 0.15, its yellow but maybe im wrong but it seem to be between the first and the second color on the chart.
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
between 50-100
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi im Chris and i had many problems with my tank since i bought it. I bought it used from someone with 16 fish in it and they all died in the next 2 month i had the tank. I completely cleaned my tank with hot water and let it dry for a month to kill any water bacterias and it was good for around 3 months but now my problem seems to be back.

I now have a freshwater stingray wich measure approx 12-14inchs and i do 50% water change every week, my water is crystal clear and every water change i use Fluval- Biological Enhancer and i use Nutrafin- Tap water conditioner for chlorine.

My stingray's skin started to peel all over his body, my ammonia level is between 0 and 0.15(not more than that, i tested it 2 hours ago after doing a 50% water change). My nitrate level is around 50-100 and i tried many water changes to lower that and it doesnt but the guy from the petstore told me its not dramatic, is it really ?
I feed him 1 full spoon for sinking pellets every evening.
He lives with a 5 inchs Severum, a 4 inchs green terror and a 10-12 inch black ghost knife. They all look good except i noticed a very tiny ich spot on my green terror wich i treater with some Melafix.

I had the same problem with my previous fish (i had 2x32 inchs hi-fin sharks, a very huge jack dempsey and many more like the fish we call the ''singer''). They started to die very slowly and the sharks started to have they skin peeled and when they were about to die its like they were suffocating, i held one of my sharks in my hand for 35 hours straight until a petshop guy was able to come to my place and then he put some product in the tank and it completely killed all the rest of my fishs including the sharks. That is exactly why i am here today, i dont want that to happen again and my stingray (Raymond) has started to have the skin peeling all over his body.

Here is some pictures of the disease, i have noticed the skin peeling is everywhere on his body even on his tail but the worst part seem to be the one you see on the pictures.
i have a 1:13 video wich i could share but i think since i am a new member i am not autorized to share links yet.
Please help me

Screenshot_20230704-215423.png
Screenshot_20230704-215445.png
11.jpg22.jpg

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Hi im Chris and i had many problems with my tank since i bought it. I bought it used from someone with 16 fish in it and they all died in the next 2 month i had the tank. I completely cleaned my tank with hot water and let it dry for a month to kill any water bacterias and it was good for around 3 months but now my problem seems to be back.

I now have a freshwater stingray wich measure approx 12-14inchs and i do 50% water change every week, my water is crystal clear and every water change i use Fluval- Biological Enhancer and i use Nutrafin- Tap water conditioner for chlorine.

My stingray's skin started to peel all over his body, my ammonia level is between 0 and 0.15(not more than that, i tested it 2 hours ago after doing a 50% water change). My nitrate level is around 50-100 and i tried many water changes to lower that and it doesnt but the guy from the petstore told me its not dramatic, is it really ?
I feed him 1 full spoon for sinking pellets every evening.
He lives with a 5 inchs Severum, a 4 inchs green terror and a 10-12 inch black ghost knife. They all look good except i noticed a very tiny ich spot on my green terror wich i treater with some Melafix.

I had the same problem with my previous fish (i had 2x32 inchs hi-fin sharks, a very huge jack dempsey and many more like the fish we call the ''singer''). They started to die very slowly and the sharks started to have they skin peeled and when they were about to die its like they were suffocating, i held one of my sharks in my hand for 35 hours straight until a petshop guy was able to come to my place and then he put some product in the tank and it completely killed all the rest of my fishs including the sharks. That is exactly why i am here today, i dont want that to happen again and my stingray (Raymond) has started to have the skin peeling all over his body.

Here is some pictures of the disease, i have noticed the skin peeling is everywhere on his body even on his tail but the worst part seem to be the one you see on the pictures.
i have a 1:13 video wich i could share but i think since i am a new member i am not autorized to share links yet.
Please help me

View attachment 1521741
View attachment 1521742
View attachment 1521743View attachment 1521744
Nitrate poisoning looks like

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How big is the tank? What’s your filtration? How long has the tank been established? How do you clean your filtration? You’ll have to increase your water changes to 75% twice a week and try to keep nitrates below 20ppm. Cut feedings down for now to every other day. Seems like your tank isn’t cycled and/or underfiltered.

Reactions: Austin1234

Austin1234

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2017
UT
Going off nitrates you def need to do more frequent water changes. Don’t know your tank size but sounds like you might be overstocked with those nitrate numbers and doing frequent water changes.

Silencious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2023
Hi everybody, thank you for answering me.
I found out my problem, i had a nitrate problem due to over food. I used to do a 50% water change once a week in my 140 gallons but now i changed it to 25% twice a week and it seems to have fixed my problem for now.

I use a fx5 filter in a 140 gallons tank but i do think i need more water circulation for the food and poop to go through the filter because i realized my ray eat only when he want (his name is Ray-Mond hihi), so i realized sometimes when i put the sinking pellets in the tank he doesnt even look at them and it makes a huge waste in the tank. I hope by adding more water movement it will push the uneated food in my filter faster (hopefully it will help with the nitrate problem).

If you have any tips or suggestion to help Raymond eat at least one time a day because right now he seems to eat only 1 out of 2 times.
Thank you for your support i really appreciate.

My water tests at the moment are really good, ph and carbonate are back to perfection and nitrate level seem to stay 25 and 50 on my test strips chart.

Have a good day everyone !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store